Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after many post that are saying there's no difference between a CVO and non CVO windshield I'd figure I'd take a measurement.

Let me toss out a little background on the reason I'm posting this. I have a 2011 CVO RGU. I tried a KW 13" Flare on this bike and it didn't fit for crap. Had to deform the windshield in order for it to fit. Madstad says the base is different. Long Ride Shields says there's a difference. Now I don't know if the difference is in the angle of the fairing or the spacing of the holes. I also don't know if it has anything to do with mine being an RGU vs an RGC.

Just trying to figure this all out.

Here's what I measured from the centers of the screws on mine. The * below indicates the screws.

Lets see some other measurements from your bike. Also post up the year and if it's an Ultra or Custom.

*--- 8"---*---7 3/8"---*---7 3/8"---*---8"---*

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
there really shouldn't be any difference in the measurements. the outer fairing is the same part number, 58733-98B. same outer fairing in use since 98.....

i checked the part number on 3 different FLTs: a 2013 CVO, a 2010 FLTRX, and a 2004 FLTRI. same part number for the fairing on all three models.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there really shouldn't be any difference in the measurements. the outer fairing is the same part number, 58733-98B. same outer fairing in use since 98.....

i checked the part number on 3 different FLTs: a 2013 CVO, a 2010 FLTRX, and a 2004 FLTRI. same part number for the fairing on all three models.
Can you check it for a FLTRUSE?

I'm still baffled why the KW wouldn't fit right. Holes were nowhere close. I sold it to a guy in TX and he had no problems with it at all.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys, I'm just looking for some measurements so this can be put to rest.

Looking at Madstad's site there's a note on the bottom of it concerning CVO windshields:
http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.2136/.f

"
NOTE: If you have a 2010 or up Screaming Eagle (CVO) Road Glide, please indicate this in the "Bike year, make, model" field. Your fairing is a little larger than the standard Glide fairing and the MadStad adapter plate is different."

·
Registered
4,061 Posts

Looking at Madstad's site there's a note on the bottom of it concerning CVO windshields:

Ok sorry for my little rant then. I would say that you would get the best results by getting some riding buds near you to come over and get 1 person to do all the measurements without the shields on. If the shields are different thickness's it would yield different measurements.

·
Registered
221 Posts
OBB, I went and measured my 12 RGU, I get the same sizes you posted above. I also measured both of my shields, my Harley aftermarket shield matches perfect and is easy to install, I also have a Clearview and that one the ends are only 7 7/8" and it is hard to get on right, but will just fit. note there website also comments on certain year CVO's being different, hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Ok sorry for my little rant then. I would say that you would get the best results by getting some riding buds near you to come over and get 1 person to do all the measurements without the shields on. If the shields are different thickness's it would yield different measurements.
No reason to say you're sorry. I respect and believe what you said about other shields fitting. I'm just trying to figure why the hell that KW wouldn't fit and three manufacturers are saying there's a difference. Would just like to know what the difference is. I know that KW did not have slotted holes in it and the Mako I'm running now does. I'm sure that helps.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OBB, I went and measured my 12 RGU, I get the same sizes you posted above. I also measured both of my shields, my Harley aftermarket shield matches perfect and is easy to install, I also have a Clearview and that one the ends are only 7 7/8" and it is hard to get on right, but will just fit. note there website also comments on certain year CVO's being different, hope this helps.
Ok, that's 2 RGUs with the same measurements. Still like to see some RGC owners pipe in. I like that CW you have on yours too. That vent in it looks pretty damn effective.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
My 2012 RGU outer fairing has the same measurements you've posted. I have a stock RGU shield, a 12" Freedom shield and a 14.5" Madstad. All three install quite easily into that hole pattern. I'm sure the Customs are the same as the RGUs. Although Madstad states that the 2010 and up CVO fairing is "a little larger", I don't know in what way they really are.

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
I dont know if this will help at all but my 09 FLTR (its neither the ultra or custom) has the CVO windshield on it. I always thought the fairings were the same. I guess one sure way to find out is contact your dealer and see if theres 2 different part #s for the fairing

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Can you check it for a FLTRUSE?

I'm still baffled why the KW wouldn't fit right. Holes were nowhere close. I sold it to a guy in TX and he had no problems with it at all.
I dont know if this will help at all but my 09 FLTR (its neither the ultra or custom) has the CVO windshield on it. I always thought the fairings were the same. I guess one sure way to find out is contact your dealer and see if theres 2 different part #s for the fairing
checked for the ultra as well, same part number.

according to the oem parts finder microfiche, the outer fairing has had the same part number since 1998.

http://www.granitestateharleystore.com/OEMpartfinder.htm

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Thanks Skratch. All this info and it still has me puzzled.:(

OBB,

Here is what I measured for my 2012 FLTRXSE

*--- 8"---*---7 3/8"---*---7 1/2"---*---8"---*

I measured it twice to be sure.

My best guess as to why you see some differences is that:

1. You have rubber well nuts that can allow the screw to go in at an angle and the measurements from screw head to screw head can be off center by as much as 1/8".

2. Some manufacturer's may not have the best quality control on how the holes are drilled and you might get some inconsistencies.

There are probably other reasons that I'm not seeing and I have never believed that MOCO made different fairings. People tend to believe totally what they read on a website such as the claims by different shield makers instead of going to the source of the main part like Skratch did.

·
Registered
600 Posts
So after many post that are saying there's no difference between a CVO and non CVO windshield I'd figure I'd take a measurement.

Let me toss out a little background on the reason I'm posting this. I have a 2011 CVO RGU. I tried a KW 13" Flare on this bike and it didn't fit for crap. Had to deform the windshield in order for it to fit. Madstad says the base is different. Long Ride Shields says there's a difference. Now I don't know if the difference is in the angle of the fairing or the spacing of the holes. I also don't know if it has anything to do with mine being an RGU vs an RGC.

Just trying to figure this all out.

Here's what I measured from the centers of the screws on mine. The * below indicates the screws.

Lets see some other measurements from your bike. Also post up the year and if it's an Ultra or Custom.

*--- 8"---*---7 3/8"---*---7 3/8"---*---8"---*

I come up with the same measurements on my 2012 FLTRX.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Maybe it is a way of charging you more $$$$$$ for the same item. How many people would check into the fairing size or measure the holes compared to how many people that just take the word of the people selling the part.
You know you can buy the same GM part for a 350 engine but if you tell them it is for a Cadillac you will pay more than if you tell them it is for a Chevy.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Ironmark,

No one charges more money. They just say it's a different hole size. The reason that HD charges more is because the CVO windshields are thicker than the standard ones and they don't claim that it's a different size.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Ironmark,

No one charges more money. They just say it's a different hole size. The reason that HD charges more is because the CVO windshields are thicker than the standard ones and they don't claim that it's a different size.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I am just saying that it could be possible. If the windshield is thicker then it is a different size. JMO

1 - 20 of 31 Posts