Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've heard there is a difference in handlebars from say a 09-13 RG to 14-16 RG. I believe I've even heard something about grinding out a nipple to get an 09-13 bars to fit 14-16? Just wondering if someone can shed a little light on this?
Reason for asking, I just bought bars for 2012 and now I'm looking to trade my scoot in for either a 16 RG or 17 RG and wonder if I can get my bars to fit either of those?.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I think the clamp size is also different. Could be wrong though. The pin in the clamp pulls out with a pair of vice grips. Others have tapped it down.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
New bars are 1.25" old ones are 1" I bought a set of bars for an older RG for my 16. And bought the clamp spacers to make them fit. But the early bars the wiring hole dumped straight out the bottom. So they wouldn't work anyway. The new bikes the wiring comes out the front of the bars down at the clamp. See where the hole is for the wiring on the new bars.

The pin they're talking about is easily removed by pulling it out with vice grips. Or you can do what I did. I tapped in flush. The 17, 18 bars are the same set up as the 15, 16.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I appreciate that.
Just to clarify...it can be done just by getting the clamp insert? My bars right now are 1.25" except of course at the clamp, then it's 1".
Thanks again for your time.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate that.
Just to clarify...it can be done just by getting the clamp insert? My bars right now are 1.25" except of course at the clamp, then it's 1".
Thanks again for your time.
Yes. Those spacer are specifically made for that reason. If you want I'll see if I have them laying around. I tend to lose shit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts