Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to upgrade my head unit and was considering going with a digital media receiver. I am currently looking at either Alpine or Kenwood. I have a Hawg Wired rs400 and a set of zx speakers. Has anyone had any experience with digital media receivers? I don't listen to many cd's so I thought this might be a good fit for me. I am curious if there are any issues with screen visibility as I have read some having problems seeing the Alpine screen. I will be purchasing the Hawg Wired install kit as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just replaced my whole stereo and used a Kenwood KIV-701. Click on my name and look for the thread I started about it. I absolutely love it.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I have the Alpine IDA-X200 in my Bronco and the IDA-X100M in the bike, with I-pods and have bluetooth on both. I have not had any issues.

·
Super Moderator
5,875 Posts
Ive got the Alpine IDA-X100M. Been running it on Lymey for 3 yrs now...not 1 issue whatsoever.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Had an Alpine ida-x300 in the last bike. Could not see the display in bright sunlight, but you can't really see most of them in bright sun. Just put a Sony in my new ride and this one is actually harder to see than teh Alpine was.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I think the stereo people have us over a barrel

MS-60 is visible in the sun, but the far left button stick out too much for the rain cover to fit confidently

so I'm still just using the rain cover for emergencies, plus it's dark tint

what sidecar cycles stated over the phone and it's true

there are gaps in the tone, but maybe not as bad as others, I think the low end over steps in the sweet spot range, MS-60 was some of sony's 10 year old primary work, so the menu's feel like your expecting to play asteroids next

the KIV and XD radios were on my list when doing my initial radio build, price and a few EQ complaints from DIY sites were enough to send me to sony

I kind of like this other brand called Fusion, but the bezel is odd ball and don't have the $300 to experiement in making it work, also Parrot look interesting.

alpine has always made good stuff, I bought a UTE-42BT as a backup radio, $80, haven't had to install it yet, I don't expect any car radio to give good outdoor visibility, so just look at the specs and menu's

I'd insist on a radio with a mid range control, the 3 band EQ's are easier to deal with

re: media only player, works better in the end, less moving parts

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I think the stereo people have us over a barrel

MS-60 is visible in the sun, but the far left button stick out too much for the rain cover to fit confidently

so I'm still just using the rain cover for emergencies, plus it's dark tint

what sidecar cycles stated over the phone and it's true

there are gaps in the tone, but maybe not as bad as others, I think the low end over steps in the sweet spot range, MS-60 was some of sony's 10 year old primary work, so the menu's feel like your expecting to play asteroids next

the KIV and XD radios were on my list when doing my initial radio build, price and a few EQ complaints from DIY sites were enough to send me to sony

I kind of like this other brand called Fusion, but the bezel is odd ball and don't have the $300 to experiement in making it work, also Parrot look interesting.

alpine has always made good stuff, I bought a UTE-42BT as a backup radio, $80, haven't had to install it yet, I don't expect any car radio to give good outdoor visibility, so just look at the specs and menu's

I'd insist on a radio with a mid range control, the 3 band EQ's are easier to deal with

re: media only player, works better in the end, less moving parts
Agreed, sometime simplicity can be the deciding factor. I still cannot make up my mind. I don't want to be playing with a radio for 5 minutes while riding. I may just get the Sony Dsx 210. It has 4 volt preouts and is pretty simple menu's.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
kinda new to the genre, but wouldn't recommend an auto unit, no standard weather configs. go with marine grade instead for outdoor durability.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I like the HD iPod interface, but I use the CB and intercom quite a bit so changing head units isn't happening on my bike. Using the handlebar controls for my iPod is very convenient.

·
Registered
38 Posts
EQ complaints from DIY? Probably people that have no clue on how to properly set one. If you want a full sound and better fine adjustments then you want something like the KIV from Kenwood (or the equivalent). I competed for years with sport compacts and stereos and have the hearing of a dog so maybe it is just easier for me. To get the full potential out of a good set of speakers and amplifier you need that. It doesn't take long and once you set it you can forget about it.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
'Have had Alpine, Kenwood & Sony head units in my cages over the years and rank them in the order listed.

On the '09 SERG I sent the HK to Iron Cross Audio for f/r preamp outs, rear aux, and a switched headphone jack (haven't tried the headphone jack yet, since "The Ball & Chain" and I have Cardo Scala Q3 Teamsets Bluetooth off of the I-5.

The preamp outs are either 3 or 4 volts?

Bypassing the amplifier section of the HK (which always sounded "muddy" to me) was a great improvement for me, as the sound is full and clear now.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I also have no need for CD's. I run an Ipod touch(hard mounted) through a JL audio line adapter that has a volume knob. It runs into an ARC 125.4 and powers two Pioneer D series 6x9's and an 8" shallow sub. I love it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts