Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RGS 128
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm torn between Dirty air Stealth system which I am heavily leaning towards and a full Ohlins set up. I want the ability to air up when my wife gets on (we are not small people) and air down when I park. I love the look of the slammed bike when its parked. My debate is simply in making sure the air ride will provide a comfortable ride quality while touring and hitting the twisties. I will be riding with other guys on bikes with stock suspension, so I'm not trying to outpace guys with full suspension set ups, just looking for improved ride quality over stock. I know the Ohlins provides the best ride and capabilities, but it lacks the look I am seeking. Does anybody have direct experience with the Dirty Air Stealth system that can give me some feed back on it? Were you able to find a comfortable setting for 1 up cruising? Is the ride bouncy? What can I expect? Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
2021 Road Glide Special
16 Posts
Had dirty air on my last street glide and thought it was a very nice ride two up and solo. Have ohlins on new rg and it is slightly better solo and night and day better two up. Adjusting between the two does suck though,........

·
Premium Member
2019 RGS
5,590 Posts
I have American Suspension full air ride. Love it so far. Just had to deal with a few air leaks. Not from the AS set up. The Dirty Air Gauge. Spent a lot of money and ended up replacing the fittings and sensors. A lot of people run that system. But go look at American Suspension. It’s purpose built. this kit is built ground up for a Harley.

And honestly. Spend 500 or more on a rear shock and your average rider couldn’t tell you whether is was an Ohlins, Legends or Progressive

And yes. Love that slammed look.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Motorcycle

Reactions: Zedbra

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I have the same system as John, for the past year. I've had no problems solo or 2-up.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If your looking for a slammed look parked and riding too up comfort air is the only way to go. I personally think a quality spring system gives better comfort and performance setup properly and love the full legends setup (axeo and revo arc) . I’ve surprised some of my friends on smaller bikes how well it throws through a corner . And the lady has zero complaints and likes the ride better than the k1600b I had.

·
Registered
2021 RGS 128
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I ordered the air ride and center stand last night, guess we will find out how she rides soon enough! I didnt order the air gauge set up as I may go Dakota digitals. The rocker box set up looks like it may be inconvenient.

·
Premium Member
2019 RGS
5,590 Posts
I have the same system as John, for the past year. I've had no problems solo or 2-up.
Put 200 miles on it today. And I can say I love the ride. On bumps I knew were coming and train tracks there was not one harsh jolt to my spine. System is everything I wanted.

Chris. That air gauge is not totally convenient. But when I priced out the Dakota Digitals and the add one you’ll need to run the air. It’swhat was more budget friendly. For now. I will have the DD eventually. This winters mods between 2 bikes is stupid. Especially considering I do 100% of the labor. Lol.

·
Premium Member
2018 Roadglide Special Wicked Red
276 Posts
Sorry late post. I have the DirtyAir fast up system and the SOB center stand. Air-ride looks great down & rides great single or 2-up. Shocks will always give you better performance in corners but with a 21" up front & air-ride I keep up with my group just fine. A paired my air-ride with a set of lowering blocks from SOB, they sucked! I switched to Covington Customs and they were 300% more solid and looked way more solid. I got rid of them to my shorter buddy for his 2020 Streetglide because they wouldn't let the air shocks completely fill up, limiting there use and affecting performance. I love the air-ride, researched for 2 years, stands & air-ride, DirtyAir is an awesome company & customer support is great, however they are really busy so will usually have to get back to you.....Kevin 👊 👊 👊

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
So I ordered the air ride and center stand last night, guess we will find out how she rides soon enough! I didnt order the air gauge set up as I may go Dakota digitals. The rocker box set up looks like it may be inconvenient.
Oh bty, I didn't order the gauge either. I asked the guy at DirtyAir if he would & he said it's more of a baseline. You still need to fine tune it. Now that I've had it for awhile I figured out it I max it in the am or whenever I dump it I just give it 2-3 quick blasts till I feel it just move. That way it releases the (over max fill) made that up for lack of a better term, and then just a little off the top for cushioning. That for me is the perfect combination of resistance & give for a close to "shock absorber" ride. Max it out and it'll bounce like a rigid with no shocks. Dump too much air out and if you hit a pot hole or a bump your lower vertebrae will feel it. Somewhere in-between is good. I just don't drain too much air out because I like it more rigid like oem. Just play with pressures that's the fun part. But it's definitely the best thing when you get off and people watch you dump the air ride and their jaws drop and go s*** dude you have f** air-ride on this thing? Lots of my younger techs have bagged cars at my dealership & it's funny when they see me do what they do right next to them....😂.
Kevin 👊 👊 👊

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Oh one last thing. If you didn't, make sure you buy the dump valve. It's a toggle switch and a little manifold that you flip when you air down and walk away from the bike. If for some reason a little piece of debris gets into the line, the compressor could start pumping up the shocks and it will fall off the center stand. I've never had it happen, never even heard of it happening to anyone I know with air-ride, but it's a good safeguard. If you wire it hot a kid could walk by and hit the compressor switch and air it up,, all bad.. I have forgotten and during the summer, since my bike lives in a 12x8 shed, I heard the compressor go off and I couldn't grab the keys to the lock quick enough to get inside...😂
Kevin 👊 👊 👊

·
Premium Member
2019 RGS
5,590 Posts
Oh one last thing. If you didn't, make sure you buy the dump valve. It's a toggle switch and a little manifold that you flip when you air down and walk away from the bike. If for some reason a little piece of debris gets into the line, the compressor could start pumping up the shocks and it will fall off the center stand. I've never had it happen, never even heard of it happening to anyone I know with air-ride, but it's a good safeguard. If you wire it hot a kid could walk by and hit the compressor switch and air it up,, all bad.. I have forgotten and during the summer, since my bike lives in a 12x8 shed, I heard the compressor go off and I couldn't grab the keys to the lock quick enough to get inside...😂
Kevin 👊 👊 👊
I have a toggle switch on my compressor for sure. With our mechanical controls if you know what the SAC unit is on the side you can air up my bike. So I make sure to dump all the tank air and shut down power to the compressor. People suck. But that’s the only way this system can air up. Someone has to do it. Virtually impossible any other way.

Reactions: HARLEY4EVER

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
I have a toggle switch on my compressor for sure. With our mechanical controls if you know what the SAC unit is on the side you can air up my bike. So I make sure to dump all the tank air and shut down power to the compressor. People suck. But that’s the only way this system can air up. Someone has to do it. Virtually impossible any other way.
Your very smart! I had to have the guys at DirtyAir suggest it, but I know a little more now lol. I love Air-ride and really think the front setups look cool. I know however that if a rear line blows, somehow, always a what if kind of guy drives my wife nuts, the back will dump but stay right before hitting the tire. Another reason I got rid of the lowering blocks because they would lower it till it hit. Great for parking on hills, but dangerous any other time. If a front line blows or gets ripped off, especially in a corner I couldn't even imagine how that would play out if it sank all of a sudden 😳.
Kevin 👊 👊 👊

·
Registered
2021 RGS 128
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not sure exactly how the build in the front end goes, but I ordered it so I'll let you know soon enough! Maybe I should start researching that now! Can anybody suggest any special tools I may need to get the front air completed?

·
Premium Member
2019 RGS
5,590 Posts
I'm not sure exactly how the build in the front end goes, but I ordered it so I'll let you know soon enough! Maybe I should start researching that now! Can anybody suggest any special tools I may need to get the front air completed?
You’ll need the tools to take it apart for sure. 19mm Allen for the top and. Long 6mm for the bottom bolt. Loosen them up while the front end is still pinched. Makes life a lot easier. I have a fork tube vice on my bench. You don’t need one. But it makes life easier if you’re going to be doing more front end jobs. Also a Ratio Rite cup for measuring the fluid. Local dirt bike place will have them. It’s what we used for our 2 strokes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts