Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like I expected from the OB the dyno results were less then impressive, but I had him do the dyno tune because it was included in the build price. The bike started out at 75.7 HP and 98.30 torque after the tune it produced 103.82 HP and 106.60 torque, I did put on the Dragula 2 into 1 exhaust and the OB mentioned that it may be the exhaust that is holding the power and torque down. Now I am going to decide on having another dyno done at another facility or spending the money on a Power Vision Pro. Personally I am leaning towards the Power Vision Pro.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I thought you would have done a little better too! Still not bad though. His comment about the 2-1 exhaust is opposite of what I would think.

·
Registered
219 Posts
dude I didn't go through all these threads about your situation but if you are runnin stock heads stil and got those numbers that's pretty nice IMO and if I'm understanding correct and someone is tellin you that with dragula 2:1 you are restricting the numbers HOLY SHIT is he sorely mistaken !!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dude I didn't go through all these threads about your situation but if you are runnin stock heads stil and got those numbers that's pretty nice IMO and if I'm understanding correct and someone is tellin you that with dragula 2:1 you are restricting the numbers HOLY SHIT is he sorely mistaken !!!!

SE high performance heads and high compression pistons.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
What's Franks opinion ?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I bet that by now, almost all of us think the OB is FOS anyway so whatever he says about it being the exhaust is probably just more BS. In addition, I don't know if his dyno skills are all that great but I bet he wasn't able to tune her into best performance... was probably also just as glad to see you go as you were glad to leave.

As for your real question (PV versus dyno), I guess it depends upon whether or not you want measured TQ/HP with this configuration versus a way to re-tune and readjust if necessary in the future (more mods?).

My personal preference would be the PV but that's because if I know the engine is effectively tuned, then I don't much need a piece of paper. However, you might want to get some independent numbers to confirm whether or not the OB screwed up tune in addition to the poor initial build.

Recognize that I'm biased, but IMHO go with PV if she's running fine and you can't detect a mechanical flaw.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
What's Franks opinion ?
Whoooooo that would a be a good one BG! :eek:

Sure do wish I could get a recording of a conversation between Frank and the OB on that "...it may be the exhaust..." topic. :) :)

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's Franks opinion ?
Well he thinks for the elevation I had the tune done at (around 2500ft) that it is alright numbers but he thinks the bike could still do better with a correct tune. The bike hit 94lbs of torque at 2500 rpm and breaks 100lbs of toque at 2800 rpm and then it will not drop below a 100lbs of torque until 5400 rpm and it holds the 106 lbs of torque from 3400 to 5000 rpm

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I think with 255 cams the numbers aren't bad at all, in fact the cams may be holding back the performance of the SE heads, ie: the heads are capable of alot
more performance than the cams.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I know I wasn't going to get a good tune from OB and now the bike does some popping on decel around 3000 rpm and then again at 2200 to 2000 rpm. The OB basically put in a canned mapp and then tried to fine tune the AFR which he didn't do a good job at IMO.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think with 255 cams the numbers aren't bad at all, in fact the cams may be holding back the performance of the SE heads, ie: the heads are capable of alot
more performance than the cams.
The bike has SE 259E cams.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
The bike has SE 259E cams.
OK, your signature says 255.

259s, Yes, I say you may be lacking a bit, 'course now we're back to the potential mis-match between the heads, pistons etc, and if you ended up with the proper amount of compression.
Have you done a compression test since this last build?? It was way low before, what is it now?? If it's still low that may be part of the issue.

Don't forget, some dynos are alot "happier" than others, which result in some builders advertsing numbers that other builders will never get to as long as they're on different dynos.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, your signature says 255.

259s, Yes, I say you may be lacking a bit, 'course now we're back to the potential mis-match between the heads, pistons etc, and if you ended up with the proper amount of compression.
Have you done a compression test since this last build?? It was way low before, what is it now?? If it's still low that may be part of the issue.

Don't forget, some dynos are alot "happier" than others, which result in some builders advertsing numbers that other builders will never get to as long as they're on different dynos.
I haven't changed my signature yet it still has my stage II build. The correct pistons were put in I had him put in the correct 10.5:1 pistons and I have 1,300 miles on the break in so everything is seated in and it has the 58mm TB with 5.3 gram per second injectors.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
What were you expecting?

That said, your numbers aren't terrible. I would be more concerned with sputtering.

Post a dyno chart with an A/F chart if you have one.

·
Administrator
12,507 Posts
Just out of curiosity, is this the same builder that screwed your bike up and was blaming the pistons when the cams were off and had bad compression, etc? If so, I really think you may want to take the bike someplace else, JMO.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just out of curiosity, is this the same builder that screwed your bike up and was blaming the pistons when the cams were off and had bad compression, etc? If so, I really think you may want to take the bike someplace else, JMO.

Yes same builder! I had him put the correct pistons in and reset the timing under his warranty and the dyno was included in the work. Personally I did not expect a good tune from this guy but because it was included I let him do the tune. Now I am debating on getting a auto tuner for the AFR and leaving things the way they are or doing another dyno tune, the problem is finding a good guy that knows his shit doing a dyno tune and a auto tuner may work until I find the right person to do a good tune.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Sounds like more could be in it.
We just set up a local 103" client with our Stage III Heads, S&S .570's, at 10.0 cr, modified his t/body and a D&D Fatcat.
On a dyno that the operator has a history of not being able to tune tbw that well, it still went 109/116..............again at 10.0 cr.
Scott

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Tuner is full of it.

Mark,
Your tuner is Full of BS.........
Like you and I talked yesterday the bike spits and sputters and pops.
It sound like he just tuned wide open and no where else.
Mark Can you post the dyno sheets before and after please.

Here is a dyno sheet from HD/SE Stage 4 SE 103 Kit.

103HP and 110TQ. 10.5.1 comp 259e cam etc., from SE.....
Like we talked when you come back this way bring it here Ill look at it.

Then here is My 107 Stage1 basic kit.
9:8:1 Compression
Stage 107 flat top pistons
Tman 555 tq cam
Dragula 2:1
Stock TBW 50mm
Break in tune only with 80miles on fresh top end.
And NOOOOO!!!!!!! head work at all.

Look at my basic kit and look at SE
Mine makes 100Tq at 2200 rpm
SE does not make it 3300 rpm

Mine starts to make 63HP
SE starts to makes 55HP

Harley 1849.95 and you still have to pay to bore and hone cylinders or buy there 103 kit.

Mine is 1250.00 bucks with everything done. And lower compression.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Mark,
Then here is My 107 Stage1 basic kit.
9:8:1 Compression
Stage 107 flat top pistons
Tman 555 tq cam
Dragula 2:1
Break in tune only with 80miles on fresh top end.
And NOOOOO!!!!!!! head work at all.
Cant wait to have you do this on mine!!! Of course i am opting for the standard Tman 555 cam!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes same builder! I had him put the correct pistons in and reset the timing under his warranty and the dyno was included in the work. Personally I did not expect a good tune from this guy but because it was included I let him do the tune. Now I am debating on getting a auto tuner for the AFR and leaving things the way they are or doing another dyno tune, the problem is finding a good guy that knows his shit doing a dyno tune and a auto tuner may work until I find the right person to do a good tune.
Tell you what brother.....load that thing up and come south west a little bit to Roeders Racing in Monroeville Ohio. Scott or Chad will make that beast run the way it's supposed to. I speak from experience as I am a very happy customer of theirs. Here's a link to them http://roederracing.com/. There is no substitute for a custom dyno tune by a guy like Chad who did mine. Check em' out!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts