Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone uses anything other than the steering lock to secure their rides?

I've got a solo trip coming up and I was considering a disc lock to compliment the built in HD security system on my 16 CVO RGU

D.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I use one when parked at the hotels just to help with peace of mind. Did you say 16 CVO RGU? If so glad to see you are back to a shark! I guess I missed that post.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use one when parked at the hotels just to help with peace of mind. Did you say 16 CVO RGU? If so glad to see you are back to a shark! I guess I missed that post.

lol, thank you for the reply. That is exactly what i was thinking, just peace of mind. If someone really wants it they will get it.

Yes sir. I did jump back into the shark pool!! Glad to be back. I didn't make a post yet but i guess I should :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Same here, we use one when the bike is going to be parked overnight.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
lol, thank you for the reply. That is exactly what i was thinking, just peace of mind. If someone really wants it they will get it.

Yes sir. I did jump back into the shark pool!! Glad to be back. I didn't make a post yet but i guess I should :)
I use the HD orange one with the telephone cord that connects up to the handle bars so it can be seen and you don't forget about it either :). Bottom line , real thieves will get it no matter what , unless you stand guard ,locked & loaded.

Reactions: SteadyEddie

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
No disc lock nor any other security measures. If someone wants it enough to steal it, it's theirs. I've traveled all over the country and stayed in some incredibly seedy places. If I'm really concerned I'll lock the forks, but I usually just shut it off and walk away.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
No disc lock nor any other security measures. If someone wants it enough to steal it, it's theirs. I've traveled all over the country and stayed in some incredibly seedy places. If I'm really concerned I'll lock the forks, but I usually just shut it off and walk away.
Me and my bright orange lock depends on guys like you for mine to work properly. :)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Me and my bright orange lock depends on guys like you for mine to work properly. :)
As I said, I've been all over the country in some terrible areas and seedy motels, and no one has ever messed with my bike. If someone does steal it, I get a new bike.

Really not seeing a downside here.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Lock are Good to keep honest people from stealing your stuff, if they want it, it's gone no matter the lock IMO

Envoyé de mon Nexus 5 en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: Dmize

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
As I said, I've been all over the country in some terrible areas and seedy motels, and no one has ever messed with my bike. If someone does steal it, I get a new bike.

Really not seeing a downside here.
Me too. Thank you . :)

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
I use the HD orange one with the telephone cord that connects up to the handle bars so it can be seen and you don't forget about it either :). Bottom line , real thieves will get it no matter what , unless you stand guard ,locked & loaded.
Ditto - Used it when I lived downtown and agree that if they want it, they'll get it but also know if they see it would require more time, just might detour them to the next victim that is not me

·
Registered
822 Posts

True, but... I rather prefer the L&L method. :grin:

I always lock the ignition, but kinda think the alarm is a bit of a joke...outside of the insurance rate break. I have a Cobra cable lock I never use as generally I'm more concerned with the need to leave in a hurry...

I also pop out at random points to check on things...and see if anyone is paying a bit too much attention to my ride. Because in a contest between Geico and a hollow point, Geico's track record has been shit...and I'd still have to walk home. I'm a smoker damn it...I can't be doing that shit...

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
It may not fit on your rotor. The orange HD one did not fit on the rotors of the '11 CVO I had. It had the Agitator wheels and floating rotors.

·
Registered
31 Posts
At hotels I'll use one. More for peace of mind than anything. I've also found that most hotel chains will let you park somewhere right near the entrance if you ask politely.

Sitting under the carport lights and cameras is probably 100x the protection of a lock.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I use one when traveling as well. Bought a Ubolt configuration in the early 90's and had to add the cable to the bars after trying to drive away without removing it one too many times! It is true that locks only keep honest people honest, but it,s kinda like the difference between open and concealed carry. If a punk wants trouble, who is he gonna mess with, someone he knows is armed or someone who looks like an easy target? If you are parked next to your buddy and one bike has a lock and the other doesn't, which bike gets stolen? You do you, I'll do me and respect your decision.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I use a disc lock all the time in town, if I'm going out of eyesight of the bike for any extended period of time. If on the road, and staying at a hotel, I use the fork lock, a disc lock, and a cable lock. If it still gets stolen, then I've at least got a decent argument to the insurance company that it was locked in all these different ways.
On more than one occasion, an overnight hotel clerk has been known to be involved in bike thefts, by making sure you are in your room for the night, then making a phone call to thieving friends and suddenly the cameras aren't working properly, or just being away from that front desk at the right time after they place that call to the thieves.
Lil Chief

Reactions: SteadyEddie

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Carry a cable lock system that was purchased at Lowes (package of 3 for $15.00) just in case the need arises. Coincidentally the cable color matches my bike

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
It may not fit on your rotor. The orange HD one did not fit on the rotors of the '11 CVO I had. It had the Agitator wheels and floating rotors.
You can get disc locks with different size pins. The one I had that fit my heritage would not fit my 2012 RGU. Holes in the glide are smaller than my heritage. Went and bout the same lock but with smaller pin to fit.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts