Road Glide banner

Distance since last service

15K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  freezeland 
#1 ·
On the new GTS radio, does anyone know how to reset the Distance since last service? It's on the Engine Info page in the Information/Vehicle Status section. The only reference in the manual is

Reset Last Service
Please see Harley-Davidson dealer to have the Distance Since Last Service odometer reset.

#4 ·
Only the dealer can reset it and it is a pain for them. I ask one of the service tech's at my dealer and we went and looked it up. The bike has to be connected to there electronic service tool , the key fob has to be out of range of the bike. Then it is multiple steps for the tech to go through to reset it. I do my own service so told them when I trade it in for the next bike they can reset it then. HA HA !! I also have a BMW and it has to be reset by the dealer as well but there is an aftermarket code reader you can buy for about $300.00 and do it your self. I don't expect to see an aftermarket device for the Harley because they made it very complex to reset even with there tools. I would expect the Harley tech's to need to pull out the service manual each time they do an oil change to reset the damn thing. Those of you that let the dealer service your bike should check to see if they even bother to reset it at the service.

#5 ·
The online manual states to:
1) turn Off the Ignition
2)wait 15 seconds
3)turn on acc
4)holdpower/mute button till service menu is displayed
5)Select Reset
6)Select mileage reset
7)Select Yes

Reactions: Bruce00 and 129834
#8 ·
I found this on "another" message board:

It's done through the maintenance menu on the Boom Box. To enter maintenance mode, let the bike sit without messing with it for several minutes. 5 minutes seems to work. While holding one finger on On/Off (lower right) of Boom Box, depress trigger switch (left handlebar). Release trigger switch when Boom Box displays start up screen but continue to hold finger on On/Off of Boom Box. The usual warning message will display. Continue to hold the On/Off, be patient, until the Maintenance screen comes up. Now be carefull. You can screw stuff up (like your engine software) if you're careless. Scroll down to the reset option and select that. This will give an option to reset mileage since last maintenance. After reset you can back out or simply use the trigger switch to turn the Boom Box off. This is also a second way to view and clear DTCs. I had to try several times to get into maintenance mode, so be patient. It does work.

#23 ·
It's not about being lazy or not. The new system has a "service odometer" in the in the information screen. Yes you can use Trip A or Trip B but if it's there for that purpose I would want to utilize it. Plus it would probably cause me to start twitching or have seizures every time I saw that info screen and the "Mileage since last service" was off because it wasn't reset. :laugh:

#24 ·
Saw another post on a different sight with direction. It was buy a guy with a CVO. What he said worked for his didn’t on mine. I’m going to the dealer tomorrow and have them show me. That’s stupid to have service mileage counter and not be able to reset it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 ·
This is what was posted. It didn't work on my bike. The only thing that happened was the odometer came on.

Step 1: Have the FOB in your pocket or near by. You start by first holding one finger on the BOOM Box ON/OFF button. It's hard to see with the radio off but you can see it if you look carefully. Continue to hold your finger here until told to release it in Step 4.

Step 2: Turn Accessory on. On my bike (2019 CVO Limited) this is done with the "trigger" switch, located on the top of the left handlebar switch cluster. Just depress the trigger switch for about 2 seconds then release to place the bike in accessory mode. Once the radio comes on you can release the trigger switch - but DON'T take your other finger off the radio ON/OFF button until step 4.

Step 3: Continue to hold your finger on the radio ON/OFF button. The normal "Warning" screen will display. Continue to hold your finger on the ON/OFF button. Be patient. It takes up to a minute until the Maintenance Mode screen displays.

Step 4: When Maintenance Mode screen finally displays, take your finger off the ON/OFF button.

Step 5: Now you can scroll down to and select the reset option.
I have not found this "written up" in any Harley literature. However, according to the Service Manager at my local Harley Davidson dealer, this is how they do it. I have done it on my bike and I promise it works. Just don't go dorkin around with the engine controller software unless you are 100% certain that you know what you are doing. Otherwise you will be paying the dealer to fix your bike. As far as how to do this on other bikes, I can't say for sure since I haven't tried it on any bikes other than my own. However, I will speculate that non-CVO models would operate much the same way, the only difference being how you place the bike in accessory mode.

#27 ·
craigffb what year bike are those instructions for?

#30 ·
New owner July 2018. Currently 7.2K miles. Initial service at 1K. Next service was 5k. I plan on changing oil every 2.5k and primary and tranny every 5k. Nice round numbers. 7,500, 10,000, 12,500,15,000, 17,500, 20,000. I don't need no stinking computer! Spent $25k on the bike and will do 20k miles/year. I expect a few extra yearly oil filters and a couple gallons of engine oil, plus a few quarts extra of primary and tranny fluid will pay dividends in the long term. KISS. Every 2500-5,000 miles.

#36 ·
Finally got it reset

Ok - I gotta admit I got frustrated with trying to reset my "Mileage Since Last Service" and it kicked my ass. I tried following posts here, directions in the manual, You Tube and it just wouldn't work. I pretty much got a "Piss on it" outlook for about the last 5 months. Ran across a post in another forum and put the missing pieces together and damn if it didn't work. This is for my 2019 RGU but if it works for you - GREAT. Seems the key piece was to start off by turning the ignition to on and letting all the electronics fully power up before proceeding. Here are the steps I followed (Thanks to the author from another forum for spelling out for me)

1. Turn Ignition switch to ON and wait for all electronics to come completely on.
2. Turn off the Ignition and wait 20 seconds.
3. Turn Ignition Switch to ACCESSORY.
4. Wait until the so called WARNING screen appears.
5. AS soon as the WARNING screen appears, press and hold the POWER/MUTE button until the “SERVICE MENU” appears (takes about 15 seconds)
6. Select “RESET”.
7. Select “MILEAGE RESET”.
8. Select “YES” – Confirm the mileage has been reset.

#38 ·
If you have an H-D Connect subscription there is an option in the H-D Connect mobile app to tell It service has been completed. It shows mileage to next service. I haven’t used it yet but I assume it will reset it in the mobile app. Considering the app syncs mileage from the bike it may reset it on the bike too. When I do the 1K service I am going to try and reset from the H-D connect app first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.