1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ouch! What size valves/cam did that?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Whoa – happened after a rebuild or what? Btw what make & type engine is it?
@ BigNorm - was thinking the same thing about the cams...

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Some scary pictures
I'm thinking one of two things. You were changing out a cam and put in adjustable pushrods and didn't get the cams on the base circle with piston at top dead center when adjusting or cams put in not lining up the timing marks. I'm I close? By the way, that sucks big time. New valves, valve guides, and seals on the valves that hit.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Back in the 88 to 95" conversion days this used to be a fairly common picture. There were some pistons out there, even some SE pistons, that had valve reliefs that weren't quite right. Different cams, bigger valves, milled heads and thin head gaskets quite often stacked up to valves touching pistons here and there.
Not a HUGE deal as long as you caught it quick enough before it finally broke the head off the valve. A lot of bikes ran for a long time that way.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Back in the 88 to 95" conversion days this used to be a fairly common picture. There were some pistons out there, even some SE pistons, that had valve reliefs that weren't quite right. Different cams, bigger valves, milled heads and thin head gaskets quite often stacked up to valves touching pistons here and there.
Not a HUGE deal as long as you caught it quick enough before it finally broke the head off the valve. A lot of bikes ran for a long time that way.
I can't imagine how loud the clanging had to be.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I can't imagine how loud the clanging had to be.
Actually, a little divit like that barely makes an extra click over the regular valvetrain and exhaust noise, and once it's hammered the divit it doesn't make noise any more. The only real reason it shows up is if it bends the valve, which it may not, and somebody took it in because "somethin' ain't right".
Valves are surprisingly flexible and don't always break.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
This isn't one of my bikes and it wasn't a build i had any hand in. Not such good news for the guy that owns it or the shop that did the complete build. The heads are being looked at by a well porter to see if they can be salvaged. Unfortunately the owner is going to have to share the intimate details himself as this was headed the way of an attorney. Was sharing as it made me cringe for the guy.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Too bad the shop owner didn't just make good on it. I hate that we have to let the courts have there say but I guess they have there purpose.

Reactions: Smarty
1 - 18 of 18 Posts