Road Glide banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THis has probably been posted here somewhere before, but I couldn't find it, so here goes.

I am fairly new here, but I am always taking my stuff apart and putting it back together. I recently picked up a 2011 FLTRU and wanted to make the tourpak detachable. I found the mount on Ebay and saw that the wiring kit from HD was $100 or so. Well, after looking at what I had, watching some Youtube videos and reading here I decided to do it myself and it was easy.

There are two big ol' connectors that are accessed by removing the rear speaker and grill. When you disconnect these you are left with about 3 feet of wire that you need to hide somewhere else. I ended up cutting the wire for female connector close to the frame and leaving the 3' pigtail attached. I then cut the wire for the male connector from inside of the rear speaker housing which left about 6 inches of a pigtail. Then I just reversed the plugs. Now the 6" pigtail is attached to the bike and the 3' pigtail stays with the tourpak leaving less wires to try to coil under the seat and reducing the chance of rubbing and shorting out.

I did this on all of the speaker wires and the wires for the tourpak lights. I will be stuffing the antenna under the fender/seat or installing one in the fairing in the future. As for the CB antenna wire it will be stuffed under the seat as is for now until I figure out what to do with it, or if I even want to use it.

All in all it was pretty easy. It took me just about 2.5 hours to cut, solder and shrink wrap all of the wires. It could have been done in less time, but I underestimated how much installation fluid I was going to need and I had to run back into the house to get more :)

That's all I got for now

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts