Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
I was thinking about doing something like that myself on a few different things before I attempted to attack my RG. I say if you can do it you should do it

·
Banned
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im a machinist & engine builder,never painted anything before.got some good advice from my local paint shop & friends who are painters.i say don't be afraid to try,its not that hard (very time consuming though!!)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Agree!

I agree with you PF that it can be done. Make no mistake though folks-IT IS SOME WORK! Like he points out, it is time consuming but well worth the effort. I enjoy being able to say "I did it". :)
Not quite as far along as you though. I screwed up when applying the clear coat and had major runs that I am now wet sanding like crazy. It will turn out nice though. I have to make sure to please the customer and he is really hard on the help! That would be ME.
Sharing a picture of the start of the placement of the parts. Can't wait until it is back together. You really can't see the true color in the pictures on this color though.
Bonus points-what is wrong with the picture of the speedo nacelle? :) I didn't catch it until I already had the Inner Fairing back in place! :( Shouldn't be too hard to correct though.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I love to see folks doing their own work. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with bolting on or sending to someone, but knowing myself and those that do their own work, there is a sense of accomplishiment when you do it yourself.

Great job.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yes it is cool being able to DIY but I also know that I cannot match the quality of a pro like you Paul! I have seen your work posted & it looks great. I bet you can also get some satisfaction out of us novices trying it & coming to the realization of just how much work a painter has to do to earn that $4k or whatever the painter charges!! :)
Trust me folks REAL painters earn that money. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts