Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after reading the two threads about saddlebags falling off and several others about tour-paks and saddle bags being stolen I decided that it might want to check my bag pins, since they've been off recently, and sure enough one was a tad loose. I really don't want to be replacing my bags so I decided it was time to go out and buy that highly recommended high dollar theft prevention kit.....

I searched this vendor's web site, started my order and that's when it hit me.... WOW this shit carries a crazy high ass price for what I'm getting!!! So I thought twice on it, and since I don't have anything else to do I started looking for "CHEAPER" alternatives, and anyone who knows me knows I'm not paying for something just because there is a well known name attached to it, or because it's easier that way or because someone gave it a great review on the internet.... I quickly decided that I wasn't paying that much period and to be honest I don't think anybody else should either.

I've located all the same parts to put my own kit together minus that torx tool (I have my own torx). All parts are stainless except the speed nuts, just like the name brand kit. What's the point in all of this? That kit has a markup that's about 150% higher than what it will cost any of us to build our own kit. I'm placing an order for the parts I need tomorrow, and if anyone else is interested in a kit please let me know (savings in bulk). I've figured that each kit will cost about $12.00 (no tool) and 16.95 (with tool). I've got no plans to compete for the other vendor's business, but if you're interested in saving some cash and want this kit, now is your chance.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Good idea, something I did soon after joining the forum after reading some DIY ideas. Told some buddies about it and they all laughed, until a one had a bag fell off while he was riding his CVO SG. No more laughing.

I'm cheap so I only replaced the front ones. Even if the back falls out, the bag won't go anywhere. I lock my bags when I leave the bike sitting anywhere so I'm just using a Allen head stainless. Works great. I highly recommend this mod, low cost that secures your bags and gives some peace of mind.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
So after reading the two threads about saddlebags falling off and several others about tour-paks and saddle bags being stolen I decided that it might want to check my bag pins, since they've been off recently, and sure enough one was a tad loose. I really don't want to be replacing my bags so I decided it was time to go out and buy that highly recommended high dollar theft prevention kit.....

I searched this vendor's web site, started my order and that's when it hit me.... WOW this shit carries a crazy high ass price for what I'm getting!!! So I thought twice on it, and since I don't have anything else to do I started looking for "CHEAPER" alternatives, and anyone who knows me knows I'm not paying for something just because there is a well known name attached to it, or because it's easier that way or because someone gave it a great review on the internet.... I quickly decided that I wasn't paying that much period and to be honest I don't think anybody else should either.

I've located all the same parts to put my own kit together minus that torx tool (I have my own torx). All parts are stainless except the speed nuts, just like the name brand kit. What's the point in all of this? That kit has a markup that's about 150% higher than what it will cost any of us to build our own kit. I'm placing an order for the parts I need tomorrow, and if anyone else is interested in a kit please let me know (savings in bulk). I've figured that each kit will cost about $12.00 (no tool) and 16.95 (with tool). I've got no plans to compete for the other vendor's business, but if you're interested in saving some cash and want this kit, now is your chance.
You bought a Harley didn't ya:rolleyes: And a CVO to boot:D

Just playing with ya. I know others have gone to a local hardware store and found stuff to use instead of the online guy. Myself, I just don't have time to think about looking for the parts. Glad you'll able to help others and save a few bucks.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We like what we like lol, and it was a CVO for me. I like passing good info and I try to help others when I can.

Anyhow got a few people who are interested so I'll order enough for 8 bikes tomorrow. Still have a few available if anyone is interested.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I made mine from parts I already had in my garage. The cost me nothing.
Why spend money if you don't need to spend money.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Couple friends have gone to Home Depot / Lowes and made up their own. I hadplanned on doing that myself, just never have. I travel for a living and this just simply saves me time which I really apreciate!! Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Just made my own up from parts at the local hardware store and have that much $ in them not counting the gas to drive there. Sounds like a good deal!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
PSI,

I had made my own, BUT could only find HEX bolts at local HD and Lowes. Where did you fine the TORX bolts and tool?

I would like to replace my 4 HEX bolts with TORX.

Bill

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'm in for a kit if they are still available.
Yes I have 2 still available, but I've already placed the order and no torx bits remain. They can be easily obtained from a local tool shop if you don't have one already. PM me if you're still interested.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
DIY - Saddle Bag Theft Prevention Kit!

Good Looking Out 93-331-29psi!
That's why I always say, "This Is The Greatest Forum on The Internet!"
Forum Members are always helping others out.
I already did my bags otherwise I'd be ordering too.
Mike U.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Hopefully it's not too late to put my order in with you...I, too, have a CVO (13 Atomic Orange/Gray) and wanna buy my 'ounce of prevention." please add me to the list and let me know how to get the $ to you...

smadge

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'll take a kit if you still have one available. Preferably with the tool.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts