Road Glide banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to do a good cleaning on the bike last night and found that the stock solo seat mounting solution on the bike leaves a lot to be desired. The plastic push nut retainers that hold the seat bolts in place are installed directly against the paint, and that solution does nothing but collect sand and dirt that has acted as an abrasive and started to wear through the clear coat. I imagine that over the course of time this will lead to that area forming rust and bubbled paint, not to mention the stock set up is oversized for no good reason at all and isn't hidden well by the seat when in a solo configuration.

I made a trip to the local hardware store to look for a workable solution, but couldn't find any suitable hardware so in true Tony style I went online and found what I needed to combat the issue and ordered what I needed in bulk quantities (couldn't get it any other way). I replaced the stock push nuts with push nuts that is half the size of stock and added a rubber washer both of which are very well concealed by the seat. I'm hoping that over time this solution will help protect the paint in that area and prevent any potential rust. issues I'll post before and after pictures tonight when I get home.

Here is a picture of the parts that were used...

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the pictures as promised.

Stock push nuts are easily seen with the solo seat.

With the seat removed.

The paint damage

The new rubber washer and push nut (much smaller than stock)

Finally back together and no more ugly ass white push nut

·
Registered
127 Posts
solo seat

Much nicer, and very clean look. I have a solo thats just sitting in the garage......partly because I didn't like the stock parts look. I will have to give your solutionn a try.

thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts