Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Very nice, would look good in polished or like you did them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't want to polish them, I think they would stick-out too much. I wanted to go for the low key look.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Love that Carbon Fiber look. Any thought of selling your template or a set of trim. I'd be interested especially since Kuryakyn wants $70.00 for their plastic version and Harley gets $119.00 but don't mention if it is plastic or metal.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Love that Carbon Fiber look. Any thought of selling your template or a set of trim. I'd be interested especially since Kuryakyn wants $70.00 for their plastic version and Harley gets $119.00 but don't mention if it is plastic or metal.
I don't have a template. I would have trace out one. There is more to it than the template also. Once cut out, the Aluminum has to be shaped to the contour of the windscreen in a couple of different directions, and filed to the proper shape you see here.
Then add the carbon fiber wrap.

And selling something on here requires me to become a vendor which I'm not.

So I can tell you what I did and you can do it yourself.

I used masking tape on the windscreen in the area for the trim piece. Draw out the shape you want, mark where the holes are, then remove the tape and transfer the image to your metal.

You can get as creative as you like in your design.
Rough cut the metal and drill the holes, file the metal to fit and shape it to the windscreen.

Add more tape to the windscreen when doing the shaping so you don't scratch the screen.

It just takes some time and effort to do.

Then you'll have what you want for less $$$$$$$$$.

Enjoy

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks RDCHRIS,
I have a great metal supplier in my area. I am headed there to see what they may have to use for the trim pieces. I like the idea of making my own since I don't care about the fancy chrome look. Also, I prefer to use metal to improve the clamping pressure on the shield instead of just the 4 screws. I'm thinking of using some thin foam tape between the trim and the shield similar to what Harley uses on the Road King windshield mounting hardware.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks RDCHRIS,
I have a great metal supplier in my area. I am headed there to see what they may have to use for the trim pieces. I like the idea of making my own since I don't care about the fancy chrome look. Also, I prefer to use metal to improve the clamping pressure on the shield instead of just the 4 screws. I'm thinking of using some thin foam tape between the trim and the shield similar to what Harley uses on the Road King windshield mounting hardware.
I bought the metal at Home Depot nothing fancy 1/8" thick.

Forgot to mention also that these pieces did give more support to the windscreen too. It doesn't shake nearly as bad with just the screws.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts