Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my stereo this spring with a Kenwood deck, Alpine Amp, and 4 Alpine 6.5's (replaced the stock speakers, and added 2 to the inner fairing). The stereo is now LOUD, and CLEAR! It sounds great! BUT... I have virtually no Bass. Would adding 6x9's in the lids give me much? I know I could put subs in the bags, but I don't want to lose the space.

·
Administrator
12,454 Posts
Unless you're going to go with an 8 or 10" sub in the bags, the 6x9 is great. You'll get the highs, plus bass. Between the bags being acoustically better than the fairing and lowers plus the 6x9 being able to displace more air, (sound) than the 6.25s in your bags you will have a lot of sound. The con is after about 45-50mph you won't hear it much, but if you have a passenger it'll keep music in their ears. I have 4 6x9s in my bags...... standing still they definitely are the loudest and most bass on the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Shorty,...
Im about a 1/2 hour North of Cincinnati.
Bout an hour away from Rabbit Hash , Ky.
If you wanna meet up and hear some bag lids w/6x9's Id be willing to meet ya if Somerset isnt to far South and ya got the time b4 ya buy anything.
imho tho, if ya can Id buy the Cyclesound Double Trouble lids. I think thats what dbell states that hes got. Ive still got the single version 6x9 of that lid.
Let me know, Im free today and tomorrow.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shorty,...
Im about a 1/2 hour North of Cincinnati.
Bout an hour away from Rabbit Hash , Ky.
If you wanna meet up and hear some bag lids w/6x9's Id be willing to meet ya if Somerset isnt to far South and ya got the time b4 ya buy anything.
imho tho, if ya can Id buy the Cyclesound Double Trouble lids. I think thats what dbell states that hes got. Ive still got the single version 6x9 of that lid.
Let me know, Im free today and tomorrow.
I appreciate the offer!!! I won't be doing anymore stereo work for a little while...too busy with powdercoating parts right now. I get up that way fairly often. I'll probably take you up on the offer sometime. I'll keep in touch. Thanks again!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I replaced my stereo this spring with a Kenwood deck, Alpine Amp, and 4 Alpine 6.5's (replaced the stock speakers, and added 2 to the inner fairing). The stereo is now LOUD, and CLEAR! It sounds great! BUT... I have virtually no Bass. Would adding 6x9's in the lids give me much? I know I could put subs in the bags, but I don't want to lose the space.
Yeah they will definitely add more bass. But for some reason, even tho the space inside is the same, the 6x9 mounted towards the wheels actually thump harder. This is something that continues to confuse us here locally. Same bike, same amp, same speakers...one has em in the lids, one has em facing the wheel...the ones facing the wheel produce much much more base than the lids. We just chalked it up to the lid speakers are blowing sound out into the open, while the wheel facing speakers are blowing sound towards a wheel and fender area that somewhat blocks it. Is this true?? Who knows...but it keeps us entertained.

Which speakers are you thinking of? In my opinion, the best bang for the buck is the Pioneer TS-D6902R. Install two of those in each bag, feed em plenty of power, and sit back and admire....lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts