Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Road Glide Ultra
I've heard there is an electrical connection under the right side cover just in front of the saddle bag that can be unplugged to deactivate the anti-lock aspect of the brakes. If this is true and you know which plug(s) to disconnect, please share this info. A picture would be great if you can.

Thanks
Craig

· Registered
1,361 Posts
I'm sure you have your reasons for wanting to disconnect it. I was apprehensive about mine when I first got them but they have saved my bacon more than once. :)

Reactions: sdjiggs

· Registered
641 Posts
I bought a big metric bike before my Road Glide Ultra. Dealer asked me if I wanted ABS since it didn't come standard. My response was someone that knows how to ride shouldn't need ABS. Of course my RG Ultra came with ABS. After having it for 2 years, I wouldn't buy another bike without it. No, it's not absolutely necessary, and yes, you should still know how to use your brakes properly, but as others have said, mine has saved my butt enough that I want it on every bike I own from here on out.

· Registered
1,815 Posts
I practiced using both brakes for years. Always.. every time. I figured in an emergency situation that I'd automatically use both brakes. WRONG! Once I locked the front when a friend put his right turn signal on and turned left in front of me. WTF. Went down. The second time I locked the rear when I saw a deer in the road. Got sideways. Luckily I got it straightened up, but didn't have time to stop. Tried to go around, and the deer hit me from the side. Stayed up but mashed a bunch of plastic. I bought my 15 Special specifically for the ABS. I wasn't sure if I'd survive a 3rd emergency.

· Registered
861 Posts
Pulling the ABS fuse will disable the ABS system but will most likely keep the ABS light in the tach on all the time. I purposely activated the ABS once on my RGU just to get a feel for it. Has not activated again in 20K of riding.

· Registered
2,347 Posts
I'm sure you have your reasons and I'm not judging, but nobody is capable of manually doing the job of anti-lock brakes. I'm a very skilled rider and I trust my anti-locks over my own abilities. Do you mind if I ask why you want to eliminate them?

· Registered
492 Posts
I think there's a fuse you can unplug.

Heck, while you're at it, why not remove your brake light, turn signals, headlights, and front brakes?
Your sarcasm always makes me laugh. :D

· Premium Member
7,793 Posts
Pull the fuse.... but no idea why anyone would do so.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for asking

I'm sure you have your reasons and I'm not judging, but nobody is capable of manually doing the job of anti-lock brakes. I'm a very skilled rider and I trust my anti-locks over my own abilities. Do you mind if I ask why you want to eliminate them?
Thanks for asking

At 30k I just replaced my front discs due to vibration when applying the brakes. I'm told it could be caused by anti-lock brake activation.

I have abs on my four wheel vehicles, and am happy with it on the bike, except for the expense of replacing the discs when I've never had to replace them before this bike. I don't know that I would have disconnected the abs if I knew how, but hearing there was a way made me curious.

· Registered
3,700 Posts
Thanks for asking

At 30k I just replaced my front discs due to vibration when applying the brakes. I'm told it could be caused by anti-lock brake activation.
WHAT? No. The notion of ABS causing warped rotors would be a new one on me.

Warping is very common with stock rotors. They warp easily, especially if you come to quick stops and hold the brakes on while stopped, it causes uneven heating and warps the rotors.

· Registered
127 Posts
A few of our proffesional riders (motor cops) thought they were better than abs when they first got it. I dont think a one thinks that now.
Im sorry to say whomever indicated that abs warped your rotors really doesnt have a clue.
I wont own another bike without it!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.