Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the process of upgrading my audio by adding an AMP and better speakers. I have a 2015 RGS. I have read here that some have added hidden antennas? Is this something I should consider or just for the older glides? What can I expect to get for my money? I figure I should do it now while I have the bike dismantled but only if I need it. Thanks in advance! BTW, I have the external antenna and I have no reason to remove it if it's doing the job. I'd only change it it provided significantly better reception.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I know of no hidden antennaes that provided better reception than the externals. I did i for appearance and was willing to take a reception hit since I don't listen to rado much.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Here is my take on a hidden antenna: I installed the HD hidden antenna when I picked up my bike, worked just fine and did not notice a loss of reception. A couple of months later I added an AMP and my radio reception went to just about nothing, except in town.

Now I really do not listen to the radio, but I wanted it to work as it should. I unplugged the hidden antenna and put the stock antenna back on and now everything is back to normal. There is a uTube video on how to route you stock antenna under the seat and still maintain pretty good reception. One can figure out how to route it without the uTube.

Here is the info talking about a hidden antenna and routing stock antenna from this site(sorry I could not get it to post as a link). You can also find it by doing an advance search under tools looking for :15 special and hidden antenna:

Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Audio > 15 special and hidden antenna

·
Registered
144 Posts
I went with the Harley hidden antenna and found the reception to be very poor. I installed it because I ride with a tour pack most of the time. I replaced the hidden antenna with an antenna with a relocation kit and would never go back.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
I actually like the whip.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I hid mine and noticed about a 20% loss in reception. Bike looks much cleaner tho, and that's what I wanted.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hid mine under the seat where the tip just went under where the tanks bolts down at front of seat and my reception sucked. Now I have it zip tied to the frame under the side cover, then midway to the bottom of the shock , and then again at the underside of the saddlebag bracket. Have about 5-6 inches sticking straight out from the back inside of the saddlebag. Reception is just like it was in the stock location.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I bought the 7$ rubber shorty antenna from AutoZone. I screwed it on, then let it lay under my detachable 4 point hook ups. Very hidden and the reception is great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts