Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 97" motor with 10:1 compressor. When first going to start the bike in morning or sitting for a couple days. It would turn over slow or the starter drive would make a horrible noise. I replace the starter clutch drive with a heavy-duty one. After that replacing the clutch gear ring. As for the battery it's brand with plenty cranking amps. Now when the bike is cold or sitting for a few days. When go to start it. It turn over like slow sometimes spits back through the carburetor. I put a voltage meter on it. What I did discover at times when he goes to start it drops below 9.6. Only when it's cold. Once the bike is running when you shut it off it's tied up with no problems. Has anyone else has this problem???? Could I need a high-torque starter???

·
Registered
989 Posts
I would say you need compression releases if you don't already have them. Makes life alot easier on the starter. In the meantime, try cracking the throttle a tad bit while starting it, see if that helps alleviate some of the compression.
I've got a 113" in my Fatboy thats at 10.2:1, using the stock starter. As long as I use the compression releases, it turns over with no issues.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
252 Posts
I had an 2005 103 that would do that, wound up being something in the software. Shop did a download (under warranty) and it cleared up.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you have an after market ignition module, you might be able to tweek on the start up timing. Some can be set to delay the spark until the motor builds up some spinning momentum, but you will have to research what you have to see if it is possible.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
What year bike?? Do you mean that you have the T-max tuner?
I would think that the stock starter is strong enough for your build but a bad tune can make for a hard starting bike.
I run a stock starter on my 08 with a 103 big bore kit without compression releases and I never had starter issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts