Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I am turning to you knowledgeable folks for assistance.

I recently purchased a 2010 RGC with true dual headpipe but still has the stock mufflers and air cleaner.

I just purchased the vance and Hines stage 1 air cleaner and i want to know if i will need to add a tuner when i install the AC. My future plans are to add some supertrapp Stout 4" mufflers and i know that with those i will need a tune but the mufflers arent in "the wifes budget" at the moment.....LOL

I have learned so much from you guys and the short time i have been on the forum so i know that I will get some good information. Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Strip,

I am looking into the V&H FP3 but i cant see where it will specifically work for the road glides. I have searched on here for a good tuner but there are so many options its nuts. Im going to take the advice i read on here to ask my local shop what tuner they recommend and have experience tuning and go from there.

Thanks .

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
If not a tunner , then some type of fuel enrichment device, or the Stage 1 down load at least.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
Enlighten me my friend. does the stage one download accomplish the same thing as a tuner?
Not even close, but it will keep the engine from leaning out with the High flow AC.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
A tuner or a ECM reflash would be needed if you do the air cleaner mod.

I would get rid of the mufflers first. The reason why is the stock mufflers are not made for a true dual exhaust they are made for a stock HD exhaust which is a scavenging exhaust.
A scavenging exhaust has 70% of exhaust flow out the right muffler and 30% out the left muffler.
Because of this the HD stock mufflers are not the same inside even though they look the same outside, so you have a unbalanced exhaust flow which results in the left cylinder having good exhaust flow but the rear cylinder having restricted exhaust flow which will affect the performance of the bike.
Simply put your back cylinder has more back pressure then the front, your engine is not balanced.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I agree with changing the slip ons.

Then, if money is an issue and you do not plan on doing any internal engine mods anytime soon, you can also look at the XiEDS from Nightrider.

Youre bike requires the FL-ViED-10.

It is plug and play, takes about 8 minutes to install. You manually turn an adjustment knob to get the fuel mixture you want. I have this on my bike and am very happy with it. I paid $75 shipped for mine used off the forum.

I have Vance and Hines big shot true duals, and an Arlen Ness Big Sucker stage 1 intake. I set my ViEDs at 50% and it is perfect. The directions are extremely simple to use.

Note: This will not work if you plan on doing cams as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
A tuner or a ECM reflash would be needed if you do the air cleaner mod.

I would get rid of the mufflers first. The reason why is the stock mufflers are not made for a true dual exhaust they are made for a stock HD exhaust which is a scavenging exhaust.

A scavenging exhaust has 70% of exhaust flow out the right muffler and 30% out the left muffler.

Because of this the HD stock mufflers are not the same inside even though they look the same outside, so you have a unbalanced exhaust flow which results in the left cylinder having good exhaust flow but the rear cylinder having restricted exhaust flow which will affect the performance of the bike.

Simply put your back cylinder has more back pressure then the front, your engine is not balanced.

Ironmark..... This info is extremely valuable to know. Thanks a lot!!! I will definately heed this advise..... Ill just tell the wife i tripped and my wallet opened up and somehow money fell out and big brown box appeared on the doorstep..... yeah thats it. thats what happened!!! ;);)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is the link for what you would need if going this route:

http://sales.nightrider.com/fl-vied-10.html

I have the same ones and am very happy. I also had to call the owner of nightrider once (Steve) and he was very knowledgeable and helpful.
Thanks Kyle...... that is a price i can work with right now. Does it matter what type of slipons i have with this setup?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
No.

Although the adjustment may be a little different. You can call nightrider though and he will give you an educated guess on where to start. Mine does perfect at 50%. Theres a couple threads around here better explaining this too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update, I have purchased the FL-VIED10 and spoke with Nightrider and was told to set it at 75%. I have done that but i still get decel pop. I have tried anywhere from 50-90% to the same avail.

I currently have the true duals and the V&H V02 A/C with the stock mufflers. I have come to the realization that i am in need of a tuner.

If money was not an option i would swap everything to a 2-1 but since im on a budget i am considering some slip-ons for the time being.

What slip-on has the best performance with my true dual setup? Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
I am using the V&H monster rounds and I am happy with them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts