Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the HD world so I need some info. I just bought an 06 RG with a K&N filter and a complete D & D Fat Cat 4" 2-1 exhaust (headers with bungs). My bike is an 88 ci EFI but my understanding is that it did not have O2 sensors prior to the 96 ci in 07. My question is, do I need a fuel management system/ tuner/ PCV or is my bike okay with a "map". It idles great, throttle is responsive but occassional "pop" on deceleration.

Thanks in advance, love this forum.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Initially I would say yes, but who knows what it has already. Most people think just because they have a decel pop they are lean. Its not always true. It is fresh air mixing with unburned fuel in the exhaust. But, long story short, your bike being pre-2007, i would get a tuner for it. The newer efi's 2007 and later are fine with an intake and exhaust.

Im sure this will turn up much debate, but from my experience and conversations with knowledgable tuners the efi was changed by adding o2 sensors in the later year efi bikes this keeps the afr the same while in closed loop it keeps the AR the same as it was completely stock.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
206 Posts
My 03 had that same pop during decel. Never seemed to hurt it and I never had any problems so I left her alone.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Are you sure it doesnt have a Race Tuner Already?
I had an 06 Street Glide, and when i switched to Rineharts True Duals, I bought the SE Race Tuner Kit, which i believe is only used to re-map. I dont think it stays on the bike. Anybody else know if that was true of the old Race Tuners.
I still have the little black module that says EFI Race Tuner Kit and has ports on both sides. I sold the bike, but i think if someone took the Rineharts off, They would need this module to go back to the stock configuration.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took a look while washing my bike the other day, no TFI/ PC etc on bike it was mapped when the exhaust was changed. Thinking of a TFI from Dobeck next spring or a PC III.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts