Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

What do you trust more - Onboard tire pressure monitor OR a physical tire pressure gauge?

• Onboard computer

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Physical device

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • I eyeball it

Votes: 3 18.8%
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2021 FLTRXS 114
47 Posts
I trust the TPMS to tell me when it's low, but not exactly what the pressure is. I have 2 pistol style gauges, 4 pencil gauges, and 3 digital gauges. They all read different. My theory is, I don't have a gauge that is calibrated, so as long as I can get it close enough to keep the low air warning off, I am good with it. When I didn't have TPMS, I only checked the pressure before long trips. On my 883, I have to check it every time I ride it (Just so it doesn't sit until I can sell it) because the front tire seems to lose a few PSI for some reason when it is parked in the garage.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
I have a really good digital gauge. My TPMS agrees with the gauge 100% of the time, as long as the TPMS has updated. Agree or not, I trust the monitor system every time we ride and I keep watch on pressures there. The one time I recently punched a hole in the rear tire, the TPMS warned me instantly and much faster than I could ever feel the air loss while riding. Of course I always...always use the digital gauge for setting the tire pressures. But unless I need to adjust pressure I'm trusting the system which has worked extremely well for me x 2 years.

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
In my opinion manually checking the pressure is better, or dare I say more accurate. On-board computers have come a very long way but I'm old school and trust a manual tire guage more than a computer. To even go more old school, my method is to eyeball it lol. Whether I'm in my truck or on the bike, when I am walking towards it I always look the vehicle over. I'll look underneath the vehicle to see if anything leaked and I'll looks at the tires for any signs of damage. I guess that comes from my 30+ years of being a mechanic and having a CDL for those pre-trip inspections

21 - 23 of 23 Posts