Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After collaboration with the master, Doc himself...

I present for your viewing pleasure....:D
[/IMG]

Let me start off by saying that I've read/researched until I was cross eyed!

My requirements where respectable power where I ride most often... with as much stock reliability as possible. After riding a '99 King that I'd worked over last year (big bore, ported heads, gear driven Andrews 26's, PCIII) I found that after I purchased my RGU in January, well... to put it bluntly... the stock epa 103" is a PURE SLUG. (IMHO, of coarse!) I don't abuse my machine, but when I roll the throttle... I'm asking for "it," and "it" needs to deliver. The RGU was so bad so that, I'd often ride my king.... even though I'd purchased my "dream bike." On top of that... the heat from the cat made me wonder how Harley ever sold even one of these bikes in the summer!

A call was made to Doc Weaver, and I expressed my concerns.
Although he told me that the 4" Rineharts weren't the best performing slip ons, he understood my decision for "the sound."
The cam suggested wasn't even on my radar. He described it as the equivalent to the 255, just moved to the right a bit. "It won't rip your arms out of their sockets, it's got a nice smooth pull all the way through," he told me.

Given his advice, that's the direction I went. I ordered the cams and accomplished the cam swap, along with the big sucker, Fullsac x pipe, and 4" Rineharts the weekend prior to the appointment on the dyno.

On March 9th, a buddy of mine and myself had "our day" at Doc's tuning performance. He tuned my bud's that morning, and mine was tuned after lunch. The TTS had been purchased prior to arriving at Docs... I payed for nothing more than the tune.

The man is a MASTER.... plain and simple. He's got a complete understanding of the twin cam, and what is proven to work. He's been doing this for a very long time and can prove factually what works and why. Opinionated? Heck, yes.... he is! He's very passionate about what he does. He's been silenced on this forum, as well as others. I for one feel that it is a crying shame, and a tragic loss of a wealth of valuable information.

If your contemplating any engine modifications to your ride... you owe it to yourself to at least call and discuss it with Doc. He doesn't manufacture anything. Yes, he sells the TTS Mastertuner, and can defend why he considers it the premier tuner on the market. I traveled 987 miles round trip for the privilege of having my bike tuned by Doc. Now that I've experienced his passion for excellence, I'd not hesitate to travel twice the distance.

Your decision for your motorcycle, money, and time is up to you.

I'm completely confident that "THE MAN" has given me the motorcycle that Harley Davidson intended for the RGU to be!

:cool:Beav

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Looking good brother, after talking to Doc and speaking to you about your tune with him, I will be headed in a similar direction, I just haven't decided on slip-ons yet.

My pre-owned 254E cams arrived today, I got a very good deal on them. I will be buying the rest from Doc.

Right now trying to decide on which RG I will be buying lol.

Sheet looks good and I bet it's a blast to ride. Hopefully we'll have a run in at the end of May when me and some of the FL boys head north.

FM :cool:

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I wold love to have Doc do a tune but I am about 2800 miles one way from him. I am liking my 254's so far, also on Doc's recommendation.
I also agree it is a shame he was kicked off this site. He is a wealth of information that comes from 40 years of experience and a good person as well.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I wold love to have Doc do a tune but I am about 2800 miles one way from him. I am liking my 254's so far, also on Doc's recommendation.
I also agree it is a shame he was kicked off this site. He is a wealth of information that comes from 40 years of experience and a good person as well.
Hopefully one day we the consumers and forum members will no longer fall prey to the politics that go on in the business of motorcycle parts..........

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
Numbers look good, but the most important thing is how the bike feels to you. I was going to take my bike to Doc until I found out he only does TTS, I have a TMax that I'm very happy with, so that was that. Should I ever decide to change tuners I'll be giving him a call.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
hopefully one day we the consumers and forum members will no longer fall prey to the politics that go on in the business of motorcycle parts..........
couldn't agree more!!!!!!

But then again... greed and the love of money (ya know the sayin'!)

As I've said before, the wealth of information lost is trajic!

If ya can't defend your product.... just have the opposition silenced! Yea.... that's the ticket!:rolleyes:

The book that I read from states: The TRUTH doesn't fear the light.

I completely understand about sponsership and all... but it went farther than that.

WE are the ones who loose, guys!

All I want is ALL THE FACTS concerning products. Then I'll make MY decision. All the smoke & mirrors, and shell games get old.

I'm sure a happy camper with mine! Now that I've got her runnin' like she's s'ppost to... now on to those "cool dude" mods...

Lemme know when your up my way FM...

Sure lot's of purty ridin' in my backyard!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

I'm sure a happy camper with mine! Now that I've got her runnin' like she's s'ppost to... now on to those "cool dude" mods...

Lemme know when your up my way FM...

Sure lot's of purty ridin' in my backyard!

Will be end of May, looking like the 19-26, but I will definitely let you know.

So what cool guy mods you looking to do?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Solo seat... gotta get rid of that refrigerator sized trunk with the 8' whips on back! Fender bunny's gettin' WAY too used to that lounge chair.

Once I see where the Corbin will sit me...

Bars will be next, as I find the stock one's too far forward. The wrist angle is uncomfortable as well.

Shield will follow closely behind. Like the looks of some of CeeBaileys. Can't understand why they can't take more pictures of their different models from the SAME ANGLE. While on the subject... think their photo's are woefully insufficient. I mean, REALLY? Gonna try one of them first, but will probably ultimately wind up with the Madsteed. My opinion is if those guys would incorporate some kind of shape/form to theirs, no need would be try any others. They're just flat and ugly.

Then there's the rear facia mod...
The chrome lowers...
The Agitators...
Monotubes...
Howards Ohlins...

It doen't ever end, does it?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Solo seat... gotta get rid of that refrigerator sized trunk with the 8' whips on back! Fender bunny's gettin' WAY too used to that lounge chair.

Once I see where the Corbin will sit me...

Bars will be next, as I find the stock one's too far forward. The wrist angle is uncomfortable as well.

Shield will follow closely behind. Like the looks of some of CeeBaileys. Can't understand why they can't take more pictures of their different models from the SAME ANGLE. While on the subject... think their photo's are woefully insufficient. I mean, REALLY? Gonna try one of them first, but will probably ultimately wind up with the Madsteed. My opinion is if those guys would incorporate some kind of shape/form to theirs, no need would be try any others. They're just flat and ugly.

Then there's the rear facia mod...
The chrome lowers...
The Agitators...
Monotubes...
Howards Ohlins...

It doen't ever end, does it?
Well when I get mine bars will have to be number one, the wrist angle killed me on the short trip when I test rode the bike.......I swear the bars stock on the bike are Heritage bars just lower......hate the damn wrist angle....

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Doc has my heads out being ported right now , they should be back in the next two weeks then he will install and tune my bike , I can't wait

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Doc's knowledge is a loss to the forum. When you can't stand the heat get the offending party banned! It's a shame but that's how some people stay in business!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I have had my se254 cam and same header and 4" Rhiney slip ons installed in November Jeff and I talked about the setup a few times I think it is great street set up works good for 2up and all around rideing it also is respectable in drag race! havnt lost to a 255 set up yet I like to keep rpm 2900 or up very seldom use clutch to up shift never when Iam hammering it hit a shift at 5000+ hardley seems your driveing a manuel trans just keeps building power.Your going to have fun !!:D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Doc's knowledge is a loss to the forum. When you can't stand the heat get the offending party banned! It's a shame but that's how some people stay in business!
Yep... some people won't get another dime of mine tho....
And I wish 'em all the luck in the world.

Just sayin'

Beavz

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, qk...

I'm thinkin' is just a great all around performer.

Wasn't lookin' for the quickest/fastest bike on the streets...

However (insert evil grin,) they'll not walk off (may crawl off) and embarrass me!

It's been over a month, and I'm still just as tickled as I can be... It's just so silky smooth that it's deceptive.

All grins!

Beavz

1 - 18 of 18 Posts