Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a TW-777 cam in last fall, and I can't quite remember, but if memory serves me, when I used to run about 75mph in 6th gear I was pulling around 3000rpm. Yesterday I was out for a putt putt, and now I am running about 80mph at 3000rpm. The bike seems to want to run a little less rpm vs the same speed the other cam did. Does that make sense? That also then would be better MPG, correct? If I cam pulling less rpm at the same speed?

Sorry, not much of an engine aficionado.

Thanks.>:)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I put a TW-777 cam in last fall, and I can't quite remember, but if memory serves me, when I used to run about 75mph in 6th gear I was pulling around 3000rpm. Yesterday I was out for a putt putt, and now I am running about 80mph at 3000rpm. The bike seems to want to run a little less rpm vs the same speed the other cam did. Does that make sense? That also then would be better MPG, correct? If I cam pulling less rpm at the same speed?

A cam will not change the rpm to speed ratio, only changing the gearing can do that.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Sounds like a tail wind. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yep, nothing like a magical Wood cam.......now that should start something........I'm outta here !!!

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
The speed vs rpm remains the same. The rpm vs torque will change.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Unless your mechanic changed either the transmission, primary drive pulley, or the rear wheel pulley, and I'm guessing he didn't do any of that, then, no, that's not possible.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts

I think you may be remembering it wrong. 80mph is what I cruise at on the interstate and every bike I have had ran at 3000rpm (maybe a little over) at that speed in 6th gear. That was with 96", 110", and my current 120". Of course I could be wrong too so I will double check the next time I go out. :smile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts