Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,310 Posts
How does it effect warranty and extended warranty, doing it from 1k 5k 10k ect?
Get a service manual, write down the dates and mileage when you perform the service, keep your receipts. You’ll have the satisfaction of knowing it was done right and you did it, much more economical, warranty still in effect.

·
Registered
337 Posts
What^^^he said.
I take mine back for the 1K, only to have them go over it and make sure there is nothing wrong from the factory. I do the 5, 10 , 15, and 20. At 25, I normally take it to a true technician at the Indy shop I have frequented for the past 20 years, (you know someone who has been to school and is a true tech, not just spent the night at a Holiday Inn or plays one on TV :grin:) and let him go over it front to back.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Got a New 18 RGS,Only put 800 miles last fall when this dam weather breaks will take a few rides an will have to do my 1K service,Will do my own always have very easy an you save So Much $Money,Use what oil you want an its Done Right.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does aervive2 manual tell you what to check as in a check list of what to do and how to and what to look for and adjust ect. Just trying to cover ALL BASES.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Do your own. Save beaucoup $$$.
Costs about $85 in supplies, using top notch lubricants and filter, for the 1k service, $42 for the 5K.
Save your receipts. Check the torque on critical fasteners, especially the shift linkage.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I guess it depends on your dealership. I have never kept any of my receipts. Over 70,000 and never been questioned about who is doing the maintenance when I take the bike in for warranty work.

Most recent job was a month ago for a rebuild after the rear seal blew out and it dumped all the oil.

Bill

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
As others have said let the dealer do the 1000 then I did the rest myself. Kept all receipts and never had an issue with warranty.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I'll be doing the service after I get my two years free service finished, negotiated as part of the deal. They just finished 20K and I'll bet before August I'll have the 25K done also!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Does aervive2 manual tell you what to check as in a check list of what to do and how to and what to look for and adjust ect. Just trying to cover ALL BASES.
No offense but if you are that unfamiliar with what to check, what voids a warranty, and what to adjust, maybe you should just have a dealer do it. Or at least have someone with more expertise help you out the first couple of times.

I'm not trying to insult you, it just sounds like your new at this.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I guess it depends on your dealership. I have never kept any of my receipts. Over 70,000 and never been questioned about who is doing the maintenance when I take the bike in for warranty work.

Most recent job was a month ago for a rebuild after the rear seal blew out and it dumped all the oil.

Bill
A 2015 with over 70k! I'm impressed!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've done two 1k services myself (2016 rgs, 2018 rgu) both times I was careful to check everything listed in the service manual and document it, and both times it amounted to just a complete fluid change. I think that's all you get at a dealership, and who knows if they check everything listed in the manual as closely as a owner does.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I've done two 1k services myself (2016 rgs, 2018 rgu) both times I was careful to check everything listed in the service manual and document it, and both times it amounted to just a complete fluid change. I think that's all you get at a dealership, and who knows if they check everything listed in the manual as closely as a owner does.
I've watched them do service at many different dealers in several states. That's basically all they do: drop the fluids and change the oil filter. I was passing through Texas once and needed a 10k. Had three luggage bags on the back and seat. Started taking it off and guy said, "don't bother. We don't go anywhere near there for the service. No checking the battery or lubing the hinges like the manual says, and I do when I do my service.

Save your money. Chances are you will do a better job than the dealer because you actually care about your bike.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I bought my bike with 2500 miles and the previous owner had the 1K service preformed at the dealer. I will do the maintenance from now on. It's easy and fun to service your ride and with a service manual you can't go wrong. In all fairness I'm old and have a life time of tools, shop equipment and experience. Most of all it's nice to know your ride has been serviced correctly with better lubricants at a reasonable cost.
Just the thoughts of an old guy in passing.
Bill

1 - 20 of 27 Posts