Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going through my roadglide fixing up wiring and cutting out a bunch I don't need (there's more unused wiring in front fairing than there is wiring being used...) and popped off the side cover to pull wiring up for custom taillights and out hangin what this connector and hardline and a spring connected to it. Any idea what this is?? otherwise its getting pulled out too!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Im going through my roadglide fixing up wiring and cutting out a bunch I don't need (there's more unused wiring in front fairing than there is wiring being used...) and popped off the side cover to pull wiring up for custom taillights and out hangin what this connector and hardline and a spring connected to it. Any idea what this is?? otherwise its getting pulled out too!!
Looks like a connector for the rear headset if you have an Ultra.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Lowering your unsprung weight, eh. 2 more HP!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Re: "cutting out a bunch that I don't need".
After reading that I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Your screwin with us, right?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I kinda agree that it is a bit odd that you are going on a fishing trip to find wires you don't need haha.

More power to ya if you have the patience though, I surely don't!

What are you looking to gain by eliminating the "unused" wires?

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Patiently waiting for the "I cut out a bunch of unneeded wires, and now my bike won't run" thread.:eek:

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,068 Posts
Patiently waiting for the "I cut out a bunch of unneeded wires, and now my bike won't run" thread.:eek:
LOL!!! That's the thought that ran through my mind.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Wow........just all I can say.

Next thing we'll read is "been working on some mods to my dad's bike............."

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Ah, man, you guys are being too hard on the guy. :)

I actually did the same thing to mine. If you've got an Ultra and you don't care about the comms and the CB, you can go with an aftermarket head unit and get rid of all the intercom/CB wiring. Believe, there's a ton of it. You don't have to cut any wires, you can just remove the various wiring harnesses. It frees up a lot of space in the wire tunnel and it removes a lot of wiring from under the fairing. My fairing is much easier to reinstall once I cleaned up all of that extra wiring.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I actually just went thru this. If your deleting the CB/Intercom wiring, you can eliminate an entire harness. It eliminates the rear passenger plug, TP pods,etc. A LOT of wires out.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
To each, their own... I make no judgment.

But, does it really matter if there's one less harness? What's the upside to removing wiring you may not need? I have no problem removing/installing the outer fairing with all that wiring in there.

If you have an Ultra and you want to sell it the prospective buyer probably expects it to have all of the Ultra wiring. I know I'd probably pass on a scoot that was missing some of its wiring, unless I really knew the owner and understood the rationale for the removal.

I have an Ultra and will agree there's a lot of wiring inside that fairing. But, since I usually have the outer fairing on I don't even notice. ;-)

·
Registered
639 Posts
I got rid of my speaker pods, but just zip tied the intercom connection to the saddlebag support. I still use CB (don't carry a passenger) and was too scared to cut the harness to remove the rear connection.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Wow, well let me explain then.... I don't cut wires that I need. I'm plenty fine with wiring, in fact, I work with electrical systems and do maintenance on aircraft electrical equipment so wiring is a petpeeve and shit wiring jobs makes me want to throat punch someone. PO or whoever did some work6 p on it, while he knows his shit, didn't have it set up the best since seat covers it all, everything worked just fine, sure, not good enough though. For example, the rear harness that runs to the rear light housing on stock fender/taillights that has the connection board to power different lights (it sits inside the light housing if you really didn't know). Since extended fenders and ect were all added and led rear lighting was added, the whole harness got stuffed by the battery along with shitty soldering being tapped off the harness and also the tour pack harness and some extra wiring for leds added up front and massive ground cluster. I for one will not deal with it since leds are being changed out to custom dynamics since the ones used were not made for cosmetics!!! (store bought with picture of scissors of where to cut, looks shitty on bike....) Soooo everything in the picture posted got ripped the hell out. Rear harness gets shortenedd and 6 pin Deutsch connector gets added to the end with wrapped wiring going to each side of fender tucked up in the extended fender down to each LED strip and license plate lights with solder and heatshrink. As far as gutting, it looks so much better without all the shit stuffed by the fender, not to mention a load resistor for lights just hanging there in a mess of wires. Aftermarket radio installed with antennae built in the fairing, so extra coaxial gets trimmed so its not all stuffed in there also. Tour pack is not going on so that got shortened. As far as CB and all that shit, don't need that junk so I gets removed! Not an ultra and no use ever for a tourpack, not old enough for touring geezer glide!!! Too scared to play with wiring?, that's fine, its winter in WI, plenty of time for me, but if I pull off side cover and that just falls out (new to touring bikes remember) and it don't need it, then id rather just not stuff it back in with the rest of the shit Needs to be unhooked and put on back shelf somewhere, cool? just asked what a part was that I have no intention of using...

Under the front fairing, not changing anything but there is a lot of unplugged harnesses up there but im wondering if a lot of that was made for stereo or whatever, doesn't seem to need it and aftermarket radio wired in otherwise but the amount of harnesses in front is crazy, ill have to take a pic of it

Attachments

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Dude, It's your bike so F*^k 'em and do it up your style. Of course, when that fabulous wench you pick up at the local bar becomes the ol' lady and wants to ride with you to Sturgis, the tour pack option looks a whole lot better if the wiring is still there. Also, if you didn't want a "geezer glide", Why the shark? There are a whole lot cooler FL's out there for the solo rider with out all the "extra shit"? Not flamin' just askin.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
She don't need a tourpack or that CB shit or tall windshields! Hell, she thinks sissy bars looks stupid! haha Still gotta love the sharks as long as they're lowered, extended, has small windshield and apes, and can switch a solo seat on sometimes!! No wiring is getting hacked, just cleaning up the rear harness to make it better to run wiring for the 3 in 1 LEDs and simplify the mess that was there....Scotchloks!!!! Why would anyone use those for anything?!?

The front isn't being messed with besides audio but there is quite a few harnesses unplugged that im assuming is for the stock radio but aftermarket got put in and wired in, not sure, all prior owner stuff, not worried about it, everything works as should, just seems weird. Already has box to use hand controls and the antennae box with wings in front fairing. front fairing came off to just add amp and jump to 6.5 speakers and LED turns are being mounted on the fairing matching the body lines.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
To each, their own... I make no judgment.

But, does it really matter if there's one less harness? What's the upside to removing wiring you may not need? I have no problem removing/installing the outer fairing with all that wiring in there.

If you have an Ultra and you want to sell it the prospective buyer probably expects it to have all of the Ultra wiring. I know I'd probably pass on a scoot that was missing some of its wiring, unless I really knew the owner and understood the rationale for the removal.

I have an Ultra and will agree there's a lot of wiring inside that fairing. But, since I usually have the outer fairing on I don't even notice. ;-)

I hear what you're saying, but for me losing all the extra wiring harnesses made a big difference. There's a lot more room in wire tunnel, the fairing, etc. it's easy to make my various wiring jobs clean and professional and that's important to me.

I'm not terribly worried about resale value, but in retrospect I should've started with a Custom and added a tour pak and lowers rather than the other way around.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Should rephrase..., rewiring and cleaning up a shit job (scotchloks, shitty soldering, stuffed wiring/excessive(3 sets of prior LED strips and associated wiring-getting changed to 3 in 1)). This whole thread is just for the rear lighting since it was already changed from OEM lighting/blinkers and just want to clean it up(get ride of a 3 ft harness that goes inside rear fender that is not need since there is no more oem rear lighting on it anymore, just don't want it all stuffed around the battery like it was) If the pass CB thing I originally asked about gets disconnected and put in a pile on shelf, so be it. Still will be sitting there if ever needed. Tourpack lighting harness (3 wires) shortened and a new connector added and I have a harness if ever needed(not by me) that can go on like it was, now its just not stuffed into the side cover or around the battery. All connections are made with Deutsch so its not a hack job, that annoys me too much

This winter, not too bad. Had the race sled out, ice fishing is going alright, temps are not too bad -20 to 20. Last winter on the other hand, holy shit!!! Still want warm weather to get here and ride

1 - 20 of 24 Posts