Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some research on a cam choice and the 57h seems hard to beat for my riding style and setup on my engine which is just a TTS and stage 1. Ive read some post saying that the pre-Rushmore 103 engines could use a little more compression for this cam... anyone with experience with NON-Rushmore 103 that can add some input?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Lots of guys running them with stock compression and loving them. I did the .030 head gasket when I did mine. 98hp and 111 tq at 95 degrees and 55% humidity. On a cooler less humid day it's 100 hp or better. So far I'm lovin it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Lots of guys running them with stock compression and loving them. I did the .030 head gasket when I did mine. 98hp and 111 tq at 95 degrees and 55% humidity. On a cooler less humid day it's 100 hp or better. So far I'm lovin it.
So changing out the head gasket gets the compression up... What does it put the compression at roughly? Also, does the cam start pulling pretty early? I ride pretty aggressive so not to worried about pulling super low rpms because im only there for a split second

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
The factory head gasket is .045 thick and when you put the .030 head gasket on it bumps the compression up from 9.9 to 10.1:1. Factory compression is 9.7:1 so your raising it much. There is no doubt it pulls hard to 100 ish mph and I honestly don't know where it falls off past that. I also like to ride hard and so far I am very pleased and not in any way disappointed. It cruises really nice and very drivable around town but rock and rolls when on the throttle.

I was in a really big hurry to get home last week from North Dallas to central Louisiana about 350 miles. I rode from 80 to 100 mph the whole way with no problem. I also got 35 mpg considering I drove it like I stole it.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Factory is 9.7. The head gasket will raise it between 9.9 to 10.1:1. Sorry I'm trying to multi task and I'm also semi retarded.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have the 57H cams with stock compression. Mine pulls good at least to 120 mph. I have a high flow intake and exhaust with a Thundermax tuner. Cams work great. Cams com on about 2400 rpm.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not to hi-jack this thread, however is the 96ci (2009) setup the same way as for compression and gasket size???

-G

P.S. I just installed 48h's and they pull from about 2k -> redline! Super strong pulls!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
The .030" head gaskets make quite a difference surprisingly. One of the guys just added them with no other changes and should have dyno numbers before and after (once we return from Alberta).
Please post them when you get them. Y'all have fun and be safe.

Eddie

·
Registered
967 Posts
Same numbers no gasket change just cams and push rods. Don't think worth the star work and expense. Actually Doc's performance tuned and recommend othe pipe and will gain couple numbers. Am running V&H HiOutput love the low rumble sound like muscle cars something have to give. Also say will be much better on the low end but this cam kicks in about 2400 rpm so am please. Fits how I ride.
Very good match for the stock 103

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the 57H cams with stock compression. Mine pulls good at least to 120 mph. I have a high flow intake and exhaust with a Thundermax tuner. Cams work great. Cams com on about 2400 rpm.
Is yours a H.O. or just the 1st gen 103?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Also, do I need to get any other upgraded parts for the clutch or oiling system? All that stuff is stock right now. I won't be doing the work but would like to get opinions from multiple sources besides the Indy

·
Registered
967 Posts
Is yours a H.O. or just the 1st gen 103?
103 high out put and older 103 the only difference is the cams and wet head on Ultras. So if go with the same after market cams all equals on none wet heads.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I would definitely replace the lifters and cam bearings. Super easy and big difference in stock lifters vs S&S. Big difference in the stock cam bearings and Timken bearings.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would definitely replace the lifters and cam bearings. Super easy and big difference in stock lifters vs S&S. Big difference in the stock cam bearings and Timken bearings.
Oh yea definitely upgrading those parts. My lifters are already going bad anyhow

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
103 high out put and older 103 the only difference is the cams and wet head on Ultras. So if go with the same after market cams all equals on none wet heads.
Ill be dang.. ive heard ppl saying the HO was set at a higher compression from the factory

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
According to MOTOUSA the ratios are.....

2013-older 103's are set at 9.6:1
2014-newer air cooler set at 9.7:1
2014-newer liquid cooled set at 10.1:1

·
Registered
967 Posts
Ill be dang.. ive heard ppl saying the HO was set at a higher compression from the factory
Slightly higher compression can be accomplished by a simple gasket change. Same engine unles have wet head like ultras.
Only mayor change was the cam.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts