Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2021 FLTRXS 114
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I took my MSF course, many MANY moons ago, the instructor told us the seat strap on 2-up seats was legally required. I have never taken one off, or given it a second thought. To me, it's just something else to remove a screw from when I need to access under the seat.

My buddy took his off his Street Glide, which made me google if it's required. Short answer? Who TF knows?

Does anyone know if the stupid seat strap has an actual intended use?

·
Registered
845 Posts
A motorcycle law in Texas requiring passenger footrests and handholds went into effect at the start of the New Year and has many motorcycle enthusiasts pretty upset. House Bill 3838, also known as Malorie's law (named after 19 year old college student Malorie Bullock when she was killed in a motorcycle accident back in 2010), requires a motorcycle that is designed to carry more than one person must be equipped with footrests and handholds for use by the passenger. The new law falls under Section 547.617 of the Texas Transportation Code.

I too have heard this but the search I could only find the above texas statement

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
338 Posts
Like he said......i not going there.
Texas may have that rule all right,...
But I'm not putting a "strap on" my bike, what would the neighbors say,
parents would be covering their kids eyes as you rode by,
Men would he's jealous with Envy,
How much time ya got......i could go on...

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Anti thief device. One more step the have to take to steal your set. You should get a discount on insurance for having it. Safety strap helps hold seat on when the rear screw falls out.

·
Registered
2020 RGS, FLTRXS that runs great out the gate.
1,878 Posts
Anti thief device. One more step the have to take to steal your set. You should get a discount on insurance for having it. Safety strap helps hold seat on when the rear screw falls out.
Damn, you're in a rough part of the country, people stealing seats...😉

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Damn, you're in a rough part of the country, people stealing seats...😉
Just a jap at the thread sell special bolts. I have never known anyone that had a seat stolen.. Before retiring I spent 200 nights and more a year with bikes parked at motels . never had a darn thing touched.
The seat strap thing comes up every once in awhile. I have removed some and left others on. I am willing to bet no LEO is going to question it.

·
Registered
2020 RGS, FLTRXS that runs great out the gate.
1,878 Posts
It’s usually the first custom touch everyone does, I rarely see one on a bike NOT on a dealership floor

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
338 Posts
I'M the handhold for my passenger
I'm with you brother, mine hangs on to me as well, we even have signals, without even speaking, if I do a double tap on her hand, that means Hang on, shit is gettin ready to go down!! If I tap her leg, that means bring them in closer, ride tight,
It's probably going to rain if not already raining, and if I go to tap her hand and it's not there or her leg and it's not there....
I turned the back around, and go try to find where she fell off........ .my bad...🙄🙄🙄

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
My strap cover the slit in the seat where the riders backrest goes. IMO the seat looks better with the strap covering the slit.
Why would anyone complain about having to remove one more screw to remover the seat ?

Reactions: Huntzjr

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
If anyone needs one, I have at least a dozen seat straps from various bikes hanging in my shop. First thing I remove from a new bike, and I don’t recall ever getting one with a used bike.

·
Registered
2016 Road Glide Ultra
140 Posts
That is very generous. Do you have the hardware too?

You are right, people remove these and my used bike did not have it. When selling a vehicle, I always do my best to take it back to "stock" (within reason) and then sell off the add-ons (seats, windshields, antenna, mirrors, covers, etc). I guess I may be...... ummmm, let's just call it "unique". LOL

If anyone needs one, I have at least a dozen seat straps from various bikes hanging in my shop. First thing I remove from a new bike, and I don’t recall ever getting one with a used bike.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am not going there, nope, no way.
LOL.....
Scanning thru replied I read ROPE 🪢 (nope).
Which is perfect !!.
My 2016 didn't come with the strap which has been convenient.
I wouldn't know where to get one but push comes the shove....
I'm getting myself a ROPE.

·
Registered
242 Posts
On the 3 Harley touring bikes I've owned, the seat strap was so tight you couldn't comfortably get your fingers around the strap. Goodbye strap.
I do have the strap for my 17 RGS buried in the bottom of my saddlebag in case some nit picking cop should want to ticket me. I could pull it out and put it on if it would prevent a ticket. But truth be told, I have never had anyone including cops question the missing seat strap.
The only other use for the strap might be as a tie down point for luggage carried on the passenger seat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts