Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife bought me a pretty part for our 2010 ’Glide. Installation was simple - too easy, really - so Im looking for reassurance:
Harley’s bar and shield linkage will end up somewhat at an angle once installed, right? And that angle won’t screw anything up over time?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
The linkage should be vertical with both Heim joints not stressed to one side or the other. A Heim joint is the bearing type joints at the end of the linkage.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
i just went through this myself. i replaced the stock linkage with the linkage off my old cvo. without using spacers, there is no way to make the linkage perfectly parallel. i rode for about 50 miles yesterday, and shifting was great, there was no binding, and i had no issues.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Mine is a bit off too. Like Skratch said. Without spacers. Just get it as best ya can. Mine works flawlessly.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just went through this myself. i replaced the stock linkage with the linkage off my old cvo. without using spacers, there is no way to make the linkage perfectly parallel. i rode for about 50 miles yesterday, and shifting was great, there was no binding, and i had no issues.
Agreed: There is no way other than spacers to make it parallel. Looks like I’m good. Thanks!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine is a bit off too. Like Skratch said. Without spacers. Just get it as best ya can. Mine works flawlessly.
Appreciate it. This thing was too easy to install. Usually for me that means trouble.
I’m gonna stamp this one as done. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Maybe it's just me but, the placement of the front looks incorrect. I have always placed the shift rod behind the lever. It sits straighter, like in this picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Like the last few guys have stated the linkage is supposed to be on the engine side up front. If the bolt touches the cylinder fins on the up shift just loosen the lock nuts at each end of the linkage and rotate it in the direction that lengthens it (makes the threaded parts longer) and this will move the front lever forward a bit and should give you the clearance you need. Then you may need to re-adjust you toe shift lever if it brings it down too much.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
well, i went by the 2013 fltrxse2 parts manual, which is where i got my shifter from, and it shows the linkage on the outside.

checking the 2019 cvo road glide custom, it also has the linkage on the outside.

it's cut off on the screen captures, but i think we can all agree that it is on the outside on the rear linkage....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,660 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

OE rod powder coated black with hem joints added. Behind on the front and in front on the back with a spacer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
well, i went by the 2013 fltrxse2 parts manual, which is where i got my shifter from, and it shows the linkage on the outside.

checking the 2019 cvo road glide custom, it also has the linkage on the outside.

it's cut off on the screen captures, but i think we can all agree that it is on the outside on the rear linkage....
I just went to the HD website and clicked on Shop for the Bike and looked up shift linkage for a 2010 and you can scroll down on the page and click on guide and then installation instructions and there it shows it on the inside. Must have been changed somewhere along the line. Most likely will work either way but it is more in line if it is installed on the inside up front.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts