Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as i am surfing through youtube i find this clip of a road glide with a 120R and fat cat exhaust. As i am watching i hear this rattling sound coming from the motor or like the valvetrain is extremely noisy. I could swear that it also sounds like there might be an exhaust leak or something. So my question to you guys is does this motor sound like it is running correctly?

https://youtu.be/fg_dsyvMw5A

The reason I ask is because i feel that my motor sometimes sounds like that. I have asked numerous folks and they all say that my bike sounds normal and i have nothing to worry about. I am a little concern cause i have 60,000 miles on my bike, only 4000 or so are by me.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Sounds pretty normal to me. The left side sounds like the typical SE compensator noise. I might have noticed a hint of an exhaust leak, but hard to tell for certain. The valve train in HD twin cams tend to be a little noisy, but I did not hear anything that would concern me in that video.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
A little valve train noise that I have dealt with in my 98" kit with Woods Cams. If it has adjustable pushrods, 1/2 more turn to set the lifters a little deeper might be just what the doctor ordered. This did quieten down my build a lot. Motor sounds strong though.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
120R's have crappy lifters, lose 'em. S&S Premium the way to go.
I was thinkin Feuling Lifters and adj. pushrods for my 120ST... S&S that much better? I know the SE are not to the same standards, thats why I want to change them out

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I have fueling lifters and very happy with them very quite,but S&S seem to be the industry standard,if and when i do a big bore with head work i will go to S&S lifters.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I have fueling lifters and very happy with them very quite,but S&S seem to be the industry standard,if and when i do a big bore with head work i will go to S&S lifters.
Thanks... I have gotten good feedback and recommendations on Feuling.. guess price will have to be looked at for S&S now

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
My Fueling lifters were about Half the price of the S&S

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Lot of lifters out there, and a lot of opinions as well.
We use/stock S&S lifters here in both the Standard and Premium types...........for a reason.
Many lifters, and then there is S&S.
Loaded to .140" with the proper engine oil viscosity for the ambient air temps per Moco service manuals, these engines can be pretty darn quiet.
Scott

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
We use/stock S&S lifters here in both the Standard and Premium types...........for a reason.
Loaded to .140" with the proper engine oil viscosity for the ambient air temps per Moco service manuals, these engines can be pretty darn quiet.
Scott
Thanks.... great info!

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Scott
Scott, in your opinion in a mild built engine say with an Andrews 57H cam and mild port and polished heads with a 1.9" intake valve, and .030 head gasket will the S&S standard lifters work well and run quiet. I talked to S&S and understand the only difference in the premium lifter and standard lifter is the valving inside. The valving inside I think they said had a ceramic style ball that is lighter. Is the right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts