Road Glide banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a 2 yr old Shih Tzu dog who loves to go riding with me in my truck pretty much anytime I am going anywhere. So my question is this, how can I find out if he will like riding on the bike without spending the $200 for one of the pet carriers they make? I would love to be able to take him with me on trips as I think he would really enjoy it but I sure don't want to spend the money on one of those carriers only to find out that the wind or noise is too much for him. He is a shy dog and jumps at his own shadow. How have others determined if their dog was bike friendly? I of course don't want to scare him to death.

So fire off some ideas to me so I can take mans best friend along too.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I have the same dog, and when she was younger I would shove her in my jacket and zip in up where just her head was poking out. She loved it! Use to take my Mini Schnauzer for rides like that all the time, just gotta wear a jacket to bring them with me, now I'm even considering the doggy carrier that goes on top of a tour pack. Easier to bring them along that way.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have the same dog, and when she was younger I would shove her in my jacket and zip in up where just her head was poking out. She loved it! Use to take my Mini Schnauzer for rides like that all the time, just gotta wear a jacket to bring them with me, now I'm even considering the doggy carrier that goes on top of a tour pack. Easier to bring them along that way.
I've done the same with my yorkie quite a few times.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I used to take my crazy Jack Russell on my bike. She did a bunch of 170 mile highway trips and a 1000 mile week. I bungeed a milk crate between the rider's backrest and trunk on my Yamaha Royal Star Venture. I had padding on the floor of the crate and had 2 tie downs attached to her harness. She had her own coat and sunglasses and could curl up in the crate. She absolutely loved it. It was a nuisance on the highway with people trying to take pictures. I'd drop a gear and disappear.

·
Super Moderator
5,981 Posts
Has he been in the garage when you start the bike? If so, how does he react?
If he gets scared, start by just sitting on the bike with him or sitting him on the seat by himself(not running). Then work your way up to where you can start the bike and it doesnt affect him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.