Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after three HD's, I think I am ready to try something different. 2004 Road King had to replace cam tensioners, 2008 Ultra failed inner primary bearing and wheel bearings, 2012 Road Glide just had a $1750 repair to fix noise at start up. They replaced tappets (second time), oil pump, cam chains and tensioners plus a slew of other internal parts. (Fortunately I had extended warranty on Road Glide.) Seriously looking at Indian Roadmaster. I know they are not perfect, but what is?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right. Nothing's perfect. Sorry for your bad luck. You could, however, start a forum with ChainSaw bashing HD products.
No, I am not bashing HD products. I thoroughly enjoyed all three of these bikes. As I said nothing is perfect. Everything is a compromise whether is motorcycles, cars, women, etc. Who knows, in a few years I may be back.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Well good luck with the indian. This roadglide is my first harley and so far Im very happy with it. I was considering the Victory magnum when I bought the roadglide. I figured if I bought the victory I would be in the same situation as I was with my metric bikes and that was no dealer network and no one stocking parts if I had troubles. So I went with the roadglide. I would be afraid of the same thing with the new indians.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well good luck with the indian. This roadglide is my first harley and so far Im very happy with it. I was considering the Victory magnum when I bought the roadglide. I figured if I bought the victory I would be in the same situation as I was with my metric bikes and that was no dealer network and no one stocking parts if I had troubles. So I went with the roadglide. I would be afraid of the same thing with the new indians.
The dealer network is a consideration as I do travel a lot. I have put a total of 150,000 miles on these three HD's since 2004 and have never been stranded or needed a large dealer network. Who knows? It is a bit of a crapshoot.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The dealer network is a consideration as I do travel a lot. I have put a total of 150,000 miles on these three HD's since 2004 and have never been stranded or needed a large dealer network. Who knows? It is a bit of a crapshoot.
150,000 miles, never stranded, replaced a few bearings, chased a noise to the tune of +$1700 and your done with HD?? Sounds like you had very little issues and got your monies worth.
Good luck with the Indian and lack of support.

Note - I'm just busting your balls. Seriously, I hope the Indian is at least as good as your previous three bikes.

·
Registered
641 Posts
So far, my 2013 has had a new ECM, twist grip sensor, compensator, induction module, and wiring harness. It has pissed me off to no end at times, but then I crank it up and go for a ride and I totally forget about trading. Not saying I will always ride Harley, but right now there is nothing else I would ride.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
You are right. Nothing's perfect. Sorry for your bad luck. You could, however, start a forum with ChainSaw bashing HD products.
Chainsaw did a hell of a lot for this forum that many seem to forget. So he bought a Victory big deal. And before people rag on his product there sure were a ton of you lining up to get his plastic that as some say made on his kitchen table.

I'll take Chainsaw over half of the new people on here.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
The big deal was never that he bought a Victory. It was that he bashed the RG in the process even though there was still one in his family. Didn't make any sense. I was definitely not one of the folks lining up.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My buddy just rented an Indian for bike week up here in Laconia. I can tell you, he was very pleased with it and is looking to but one if he hasn't already. It does have an s&s motor and while I didn't ride it I was told it has far more stock power than a comparable HD.
Personally, I love my road glide but can always see a benefit to another bike that I don't have in mine. Also, if I were looking for truly trouble free and able to go the distance, I'd look at the Honda F6B. That's a dealer network that will rival HD any day (if you needed it of course). Good luck in your search.

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
My buddy just rented an Indian for bike week up here in Laconia. I can tell you, he was very pleased with it and is looking to but one if he hasn't already. It does have an s&s motor and while I didn't ride it I was told it has far more stock power than a comparable HD.
the stock indian engine (thunderstroke 111) is not an s&s engine, so if your buddy rented one with an s&s, then the model he buys may be very different.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Chainsaw did a hell of a lot for this forum that many seem to forget. So he bought a Victory big deal. And before people rag on his product there sure were a ton of you lining up to get his plastic that as some say made on his kitchen table.

I'll take Chainsaw over half of the new people on here.
Lighten up. It's all in good fun. He indeed did a lot of good for the forum but he sure bashed the heck out of our beloved bike on his way out and if you belonged to other forums he still does.

Me.............never in line......

·
Registered
2011 RGU
2,444 Posts
Personally, I love my road glide but can always see a benefit to another bike that I don't have in mine. Also, if I were looking for truly trouble free and able to go the distance, I'd look at the Honda F6B. That's a dealer network that will rival HD any day (if you needed it of course). Good luck in your search.
i have to disagree about the dealer network. At least from my experience parts are never in stock and have to be ordered, not as many options for customization at the dealer, and of course they are usually closed on Sunday and Monday.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Don't worry it will get locked soon. Some subjects are off limits. Back on topic, I agree with what's been previously posted--sounds like you did pretty well for all those miles. ;)
I just found it ironic is all. If the OP had HALF the problems with his bike that i've had with mine in just the last 3 months he'd be riding a donkey cause he'd be afraid of anything with an engine haha.

I'd be jumping up and down naked with excitement if I only had the same problems the OP had! It's just the nature of the beast.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.