Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

· Registered
10,588 Posts
Well, after three HD's, I think I am ready to try something different. 2004 Road King had to replace cam tensioners, 2008 Ultra failed inner primary bearing and wheel bearings, 2012 Road Glide just had a $1750 repair to fix noise at start up. They replaced tappets (second time), oil pump, cam chains and tensioners plus a slew of other internal parts. (Fortunately I had extended warranty on Road Glide.) Seriously looking at Indian Roadmaster. I know they are not perfect, but what is?
You meet the nicest people on a Honda.

· Gone But Not Forgotten
3,967 Posts
Everything is a compromise whether is motorcycles, cars, women, etc.
..... i've been informed, on multiple occasions, that there is no compromise w/a woman.

...... Roadmaster is an interesting motorcycle. Having a hard time w/pricing & the shape of those lowers though.

· Premium Member
4,285 Posts
Wife decided recently she wanted to ride. So we were looking and looking.
Seriously considered the new Indian and it's a nice bike. But in the end we decided on the new ultra low. Very nice riding , no buffeting at high speeds and with the current deals they are giving, it's less than the Indian road master.

Say it ain't so about chain???
It breaks my heart??

· Registered
8 Posts
Well, after three HD's, I think I am ready to try something different. 2004 Road King had to replace cam tensioners, 2008 Ultra failed inner primary bearing and wheel bearings, 2012 Road Glide just had a $1750 repair to fix noise at start up. They replaced tappets (second time), oil pump, cam chains and tensioners plus a slew of other internal parts. (Fortunately I had extended warranty on Road Glide.) Seriously looking at Indian Roadmaster. I know they are not perfect, but what is?
I'm on my fourth HD. An early Evo softail, early TC-88 Roadking, 01 Fatty, and my current 15 RGS. I had to do what you did on the chain tensioners because like a dumb ass, I let it go and didnt inspect it when I should have. The nylon tensioner shoes wore down almost to the metal. I $hit-canned the stock tensioners and replaced it with an Andrews cam gear drive set. The thing worked freakin' awesome and never had any problems. Other than that I guess i've been pretty lucky with my H-D's. Sorry to hear you are considering leaving H-D. At least your looking at another American V-twin. GOOD LUCK on whatever route you take :)

· Registered
2,001 Posts
I bought my first HD in 1989,now currently on number 13,still have two of the early ones,never really had any issues with my Evo's,my first twin cam was nearly perfect for 60,000 miles,this bike was never in for any warranty issues in all that time,now my 12 RG its been another story,but all in all i am happy with my HD's,took off work Thur and pulled the 93 FXLR out and put about a hundred miles on it,ran great,i will stick with HD,as mentioned before with the network of dealers you can always get parts about any where,but hopefully this will change for Victory and Indian over time good luck with your search and dont be a stranger.

· Gone But Not Forgotten
3,814 Posts
navyman, I can understand your frustration. Hell, I've been riding Harley's for 50+ years & I've had problems. I've also had several crotch rockets, which also had issues. Good luck no matter which way you go.

· Registered
1,386 Posts
Whoooo? New people?

Flip flop scratching his chrome sores
and huffing paint
I didn't say all the newbie's just some that think their exhaust don't stink........................................................................................................

Ya so what if he talked trash about Harley and RG? I've seen a ton of folks do that on here. If it is true I don't mind so much but when it's BS is when I have a problem.

· Registered
3,265 Posts
Navyman, I see u r in Cincinnati. Are u dealing w/Cincinnati Harley?
That Dealership, has not been the same since Ferd and Thelma sold and retired.
Cincinnati Harley Lost the Best Mechanic in the Tri-State shortly after they got out of Ownership.Not sayin the wrench twisters they got now aren't any good, but, its Slapm on the Ass and get to the Next Motorcycle. Ferd and Thelma would of made things rite w/u! I know that for a Fact.

· Administrator
13,938 Posts
I been doing this for a spell , not as long as Hillglide , in his eyes I may be a mere wet behind the ears rookie , cause I only been at Harleys for 44 years ..

Growing up with Panheads and Shovelheads , you found out that if you really wanted to ride , then you had to learn to work on your bikes ..

If you had to spend as much time wrenching as you do riding , would you ride ??

Maybe that's why I don't find all these issues we have with TC's of any major consequence .. The reliability of Harleys today is unreal .. My big issue I have had as of recent years is swallowing my pride and realizing the TC is light years ahead of my beloved EVO's ..

Most people have issues with the bikes when they start tinkering with them , then blame Harley for something they did that affected something else ..

It amazes me the number of people who buy a Harley , and spend the rest of the time crying about every little issue that comes along , then their solution is to sell that bike and buy another Harley ..

Rant over

JtB

· Gone But Not Forgotten
3,814 Posts
You're Not A Rookie

I been doing this for a spell , not as long as Hillglide , in his eyes I may be a mere wet behind the ears rookie , cause I only been at Harleys for 44 years ..

Growing up with Panheads and Shovelheads , you found out that if you really wanted to ride , then you had to learn to work on your bikes ..

If you had to spend as much time wrenching as you do riding , would you ride ??

Maybe that's why I don't find all these issues we have with TC's of any major consequence .. The reliability of Harleys today is unreal .. My big issue I have had as of recent years is swallowing my pride and realizing the TC is light years ahead of my beloved EVO's ..

Most people have issues with the bikes when they start tinkering with them , then blame Harley for something they did that affected something else ..

It amazes me the number of people who buy a Harley , and spend the rest of the time crying about every little issue that comes along , then their solution is to sell that bike and buy another Harley ..

Rant over

JtB
Hell, you're a 'Old Fart' just like me that enjoys riding. :D

· Registered
1,105 Posts
To the OP, there are plenty of options out there. I for one went from a Glide to a BMW K1600GTL. I recently put down over 5 thousand miles on a trip out west, two up. It was alot of fun to turn up 160hp in the twistyies, pulling a trailer, and not having to second guess if I could pass anything in front of me. I still love Harleys as there is no bike with more cool factor, but I will say the technology in the GTL is enough to keep me happy, not second guessing my purchase, and Im not constantly trying to re-invent it to keep my interest. To each their own. The main thing is not what you ride, but that you ride.

Glacier

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.