Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 09 RG stock seat, stock height, and I'm 6' 2". I sit fairly comfy in my seat, not to tall, not slouchy. I currently have a small may 2" windshield that for all intense purposes is good enough around town. I can even wear my cap forward without loosing up to about 50mph. I'm looking to get a taller windshield for future rides because I know the wind noise and loss of hearing the radio will be in issue. But I definately want to look over my shield, not through it. I've narrowed my selection down to 3... the LRS, the Windvest or Clearshield. My friend has a Clearshield and he loves it. My concern is, is it $100 better than the other 2. I also would like to keep the blackout look.

I've read all the threads on the different shields and opinions, but not too many Clearshield opinions.... Should that tell me something?

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
I have an 09 RG stock seat, stock height, and I'm 6' 2". I sit fairly comfy in my seat, not to tall, not slouchy. I currently have a small may 2" windshield that for all intense purposes is good enough around town. I can even wear my cap forward without loosing up to about 50mph. I'm looking to get a taller windshield for future rides because I know the wind noise and loss of hearing the radio will be in issue. But I definately want to look over my shield, not through it. I've narrowed my selection down to 3... the LRS, the Windvest or Clearshield. My friend has a Clearshield and he loves it. My concern is, is it $100 better than the other 2. I also would like to keep the blackout look.

I've read all the threads on the different shields and opinions, but not too many Clearshield opinions.... Should that tell me something?
I had the 12" & 15 " Windvest. I'm 5'10 but sit high. The 12" let the wind hit me in the forehead, the 15" pushed the wind a few inches over my head. Both were way better than stock or the HD 12" Wind Splitter.
Non of the above beats the 13" Madstad I now have.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After much more looking, I purchased a LRS because they had a 35% off. Made the windshield like $85. With that being said its cheap enough that I can buy another if I don't like it. I liked the Clearview w/recurve but wasn't sure if the curve was enough to warrant the extra $100+. When I get it installed I'll give a little review.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Blazer7, it sounds like we are about the same height and have the same riding posture.

I installed a Clearview Shield with re-curved top on my 2001 RG. When I bought my 2013 I mounted the same shield on it because I liked it so much (and I am a little cheap). To make it even harder to change I bought the first one at a discounted price because it was blemished.

Even though they had re-designed the shields in 2004 and brought the top edge closer to the rider I thought what the heck.

Well, the old style shield worked even better with the new fairing angle. At this point I think the only reason I would change windshields would be to get a vented Clearshield; but, I'm always afraid to change something that works so well for me. As with anything as personal as a windshield, YMMV.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

tj

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks TeeJay... and yeah, you could say I'm a bit frugal as well. although I am slowly learning that there are things to pay a price for... pay once, cry once is a term someone told me once.
With that being said I have rcvd a tracking number from LRS and it seems the 24$ shipping charge for transportation via mule. The pkg was rvd on Monday evening in Reno, NV and it arrived in Ellenwood, GA this morning. It's scheduled to deliver on Mon 3/16.
Stay tuned......

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I'm 6' even and on my Ultra I ran the LRS Mako in 13". Worked great for me and the better half know if she bitches about anything on the bike, she stays home.:D She did say she didn't have any issues with the wind though. Shipping can be a little high on any windshield due to the size of the box but it's still better than paying full price plus shipping. I think you're going to like it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've got the 12" Windvest (I am 5'9) and really satisfied with it, however I have the CVO solo seat which is about 1" lower than the stock seat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well my windshield came in yesterday while I was at work. Unfortunately today is green beer day and I may not be in any shape to install it later as I have just left work and headed to the bar to meet my buddies....stay tuned

Happy St Party's day to all!!!
Stay safe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts