Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys: I need some input here. I own 2011 RGC, I modified it by removing the CAT and adding Wild Pig slip on mufflers.
First Fact gas millage dropped. Second fact people following says that its running extremely rich (I guess they are drinking my gas ) hahah. I just purchased a Stage 1 air filter kit from HD and I’m asking. If I install this kit would I need the download or would I need a race tuner. Is it abnormal to run rich after you reduced back pressure by removing the CAT ? Would adding the air filter add air and reduce the richness of it ?

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Hi Guys: I need some input here. I own 2011 RGC, I modified it by removing the CAT and adding Wild Pig slip on mufflers.
First Fact gas millage dropped. Second fact people following says that its running extremely rich (I guess they are drinking my gas ) hahah. I just purchased a Stage 1 air filter kit from HD and I’m asking. If I install this kit would I need the download or would I need a race tuner. Is it abnormal to run rich after you reduced back pressure by removing the CAT ? Would adding the air filter add air and reduce the richness of it ?
Typically by changing either your pipes, or your intake you don't have to do anything to your ECM. However changing both, requires either a download or tuner. Harley will charge you anywhere from $60 to $200 to load up a map for your bike. However your limited to what harley feels "safe" for your bike. I would suggest getting a Dynojet Power Vision. Its your own race tuner/map installer all in one. It doesn't stay on your bike, it adds nothing to an existing map,.. you can download, modify or make your own maps based on your own bike. For the money, its the best option to go hands down because it can do so much. I've used and installed a handful of tuners, and by far the Powervision is years in front of the competition. Jamie at Fuel Moto can hook you up, they are a sponser on the forums.

As for yours running rich after gutting the cat and installing slipons,.. never heard that one before. Our bikes all run lean from the factory as is, so having it run rich would be a new one for me. Maybe Frank or another engine builder can chime in if they have seen it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Could be the sensors are cross talking and ordering ECM to give more fuel

Make sure they are installed correctly

I prefer the TTS mastertune solution. No add on parts you have ECM access and map it

Both tuners are good solutions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the o2s and they are correct according to the manual blk in the rear and gray up front.....so does this mean that they are cross talking ? I don’t have a CEL on. Maybe its not running rich, but I’m thinking if the gas mileage dropped and the smell of raw gas mean that it’s in a rich condition. What would you do 1. Take it to the dealer for a download at this point or purchase a race tuner and then install the AC.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'd get the TTS tuner over the Race tuner or a download you'll spend the bucks to get a download and poof that's it, no changes, no upgrades, no modifications.

http://www.mastertune.net/

this will allow you to download and install a map for your configuration and ride the bike around and fine tune it pretty easily for fuel.

You can do the same with a powercommander as was mentioned earlier,

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I wonder if you damaged your O2 sensors when changing them. or possibley they are leaking and pulling fresh air in so fooling your ecm into thinking you are extremely lean so keeps adding fuel. something is not right. Just for giggles you should try and slip your stock mufflers back on and see if the added back pressure helps. I am still thinking O2 sensor related in some way.

·
Registered
614 Posts
+1 for damaged O2 sensors. There is something telling the ECM that you are lean.

According to the service manual the O2 sensors are very sensitive and easily damaged.

Regarding the tuner, dont waste your money on the HD Download unless you are 100% positive you are not going to do anything else to the bike and even than it may not run great. There are a lot of other choices for as little as $ 220 and up, that will give you a lot more flexibility than the download, Fuel Pak (220.00) PCV can be purchased for less than 300, Power Vision , TTS, SESPT , Thundermax and a lot more.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Just a thought.....Did you install the O2 sensors back in the correct spots...IE there is a front one and a rear one...cannot be changed or the bike will not run correctly
Just my 02 cents worth
hope you find the solution :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The O2s or in the correct spot gray in the front blk in the back , but if the sensors were non operational wouldn't throw a CEL ?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
The O2s or in the correct spot gray in the front blk in the back , but if the sensors were non operational wouldn't throw a CEL ?
have you checked for any thrown codes yet? I guess I never remember a check engine light coming on any of my bikes but they have thrown codes before.

·
Registered
67 Posts
+1 for damaged O2 sensors. There is something telling the ECM that you are lean.

According to the service manual the O2 sensors are very sensitive and easily damaged.

Regarding the tuner, dont waste your money on the HD Download unless you are 100% positive you are not going to do anything else to the bike and even than it may not run great. There are a lot of other choices for as little as $ 220 and up, that will give you a lot more flexibility than the download, Fuel Pak (220.00) PCV can be purchased for less than 300, Power Vision , TTS, SESPT , Thundermax and a lot more.
You are right. If you are not going to do any other modifications to your bike, don't waste your money. I learned it the hard way. Although, I did some mods to mine and had to install a race tuner and wow... what a difference. If you look at my previous posts on the stumbling, this was due to the incompatibility of the PC to my bike. All in all, research before you do anything, mods are great and some are a waste.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts