Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going on a trip this summer with some church friends and local CMA riders from St. Charles, Mo. Any suggestions on things to do while we are there, additional rides, sightseeing, etc???

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
400 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Cherahola parkway. Time allowing, Ashville is a kool towm to check out. Chimney rock just south of that. There there is Gatlinburg and pigeon forge the other way. LOT to do near there!

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
The "Wheels through Time Museum" is a must see in Maggie Valley, NC. Great riding getting to and from there from Tail of the Dragon. The Harley dealer in Maryville is one of the coolest dealers in the country too!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Ugggh

The entire Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area is one great big version of Hillbilly Disneyworld. Overcrowded, traffic snarls, nowhere to park, and lines everywhere. If you like taffy shops, pancake houses, nick nack places , overpriced lousy food and standing in line to get that lousyfood , you will love it . If you dont, stay somewherre else. My brther in law and I base camped out of Gatlinburg on a weeklong bike trip due to the fact we didnt know any better. I WILL NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE EVER AGAIN !!! Despite the obvious amount of motorcycle tourism that the area draws, Gatlinburg is FAR, FAR from being a motorcycle friendly place. Some of the establishments we encountered were just shy of being flat rude. It was obvious they had no desire to have "our kind" in their establishment. I guess our Harley t-shirts scared them...lol This despite the fact that we probably had more disposable money to spend than the majority of those in line to go see Dollyworld or whatever that mess is called. We did find a few biker friendly establishments but the majority of those we encountered were certainly not. I was pretty shocked at how the stereotyping was played out. We are planning a return trip next year but will move our base camp to Cherokee N.C.
Good luck, take your patience pills and dont expect world class treatment...:eek:

·
Registered
221 Posts
The entire Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area is one great big version of Hillbilly Disneyworld. Overcrowded, traffic snarls, nowhere to park, and lines everywhere. If you like taffy shops, pancake houses, nick nack places , overpriced lousy food and standing in line to get that lousyfood , you will love it . If you dont, stay somewherre else. My brther in law and I base camped out of Gatlinburg on a weeklong bike trip due to the fact we didnt know any better. I WILL NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE EVER AGAIN !!! Despite the obvious amount of motorcycle tourism that the area draws, Gatlinburg is FAR, FAR from being a motorcycle friendly place. Some of the establishments we encountered were just shy of being flat rude. It was obvious they had no desire to have "our kind" in their establishment. I guess our Harley t-shirts scared them...lol This despite the fact that we probably had more disposable money to spend than the majority of those in line to go see Dollyworld or whatever that mess is called. We did find a few biker friendly establishments but the majority of those we encountered were certainly not. I was pretty shocked at how the stereotyping was played out. We are planning a return trip next year but will move our base camp to Cherokee N.C.
Good luck, take your patience pills and dont expect world class treatment...:eek:
If you're thinking about staying in Cherokee, you're not far from Maggie Valley, which is a very bike friendly little town. We stay there for a week, and ride around all of the surrounding area's. I would suggest a hotel in Maggie Valley, but I think most of them are good, so you can't really go wrong.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
+100 on what he said! If the Dragon is the reason for the trip I'd ride to Knoxville and take 129 south which eventually turns into the Dragon. When you get to the NC side where the Dragon ends you'll be at Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort a good place to stop and get a t-shirt and take some pics by the sign. Theres a motel there as well but it's not exactly a resort, in fact its kind of spartan. Metal bunk beds and such.

A short distance from there continuing on 129 is Robinsville where theres a motel, restaurants and stuff. About 5 miles out of town is the Two Wheel Inn. A motorcyle hotel and each unit has it's own private garage. Its not real fancy but it's comfortable and clean and the owners are top notch. Going in the spring or summer though I'd have a reservation. Ask the owners about rides in the area and they'll give you a map.

Its right in the middle of some great riding. The Dragon, Cherahola Skyway, Moonshiner 28 and on and on. Depending on how much time you have you could continue over to Maggie Valley which as stated is very motorcycle friendly.

BTW there is always something going on at Deals Gap and the Dragon. Between different motorcycle groups and car clubs. Last time I was there there were about 500 mini coopers there having a rally. Saw some really cool cars. There was also a Corvette group there but everyone co-exsists pretty well and the riding is still good.

If you go over toward Maggie Valley or Cherokee then you're getting near the Blue Ridge Parkway and thats a whole nuther post and a whole bunch of fun cool things.

I try to get down there 2 or 3 times a year and I guess you can tell I can of like it. One thing for sure no matter where you go in the area you can't make a wrong turn, the riding there is amazing. Everytime I go I find a new favorite ride! :D

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Oh and BTW when riding in the area especially the Dragon don't over ride your bike and stay in your lane. Cops watch speed but they are really serious about going around a corner and crossing the center line, which they should be. They may give you a break on speed but cross the center line regardless of speed and they will bust your butt!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Depending on the size of your group, Hunts Lodge is not a bad place to stay. It's on 68 about 25 miles from 75. I stayed there for the first time this year with some friends and it's a pretty nice facility. From there, you have a nice twisty ride to the dragon, Cherahola skyway, blue ridge, and other fantasic rides.

Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Somebody already mentioned the Copperhead lodge in Blairsville, if you go there are two great restaurants in town, Hole in the Wall for Breakfast and then hmm Fatz? For lunch dinner.

Def hit the Cherohala Skyway, I like it better then the Dragon. A couple of weeks ago some us rode to Brasstown Bald, lots of good riding in that area. Just be careful of the crazies at Tail of the Dragon.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'll echo what the others have said and add that, time permitting, you should ride up Mt Mitchell, on a clear day the view is breath taking. Not too often will you find yourself on the highest mountain east of the Mississippi River.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Sorry you had that experience in Gatlinburg. I have been with groups of bikes several times . always stay in the same Mom & Pops motel in Gatlinburg and never been hassled, even after several return trips got discounts. Though the traffic in Pigeon Forge is horrible there are several back roads to miss some of the congestion.You have to plan on getting in and out of the area. Another thing I noticed you have that OU symbol, there in the land of Rocky Top they probably don't cotton to your kind. Then on the other hand there is nothing wrong with Cheerokee, you could also try out Bryson City as a base camp or any of those small surrounding towns

·
Registered
432 Posts
We stayed in Gatlinburg when we went down in 2011. Other than the traffic we had no issues, and I kind of liked it. The day it rained, we visited all the downtown traps by walking, and everyone seemed to enjoy it. Here's a great spot for lunch on the Blue Ridge Parkway: http://www.pisgahinn.com/. It's south of Asheville NC, and a nice ride down.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There is a lot of hiking in some the forests - J Kilmer, off 143 (Cherohala), Nantahala. You can ride a zipline thru some of these areas, don't remember exactly where. You can do a train ride, Station is in Bryson City. Biking in around Fontana Dam(129). Routes - 143(cherohala.)28 monnshiners run, I would suggest 441(Smokie Mountain run but I hear the road is block half way thru it, you can do plenty of hicking in this area. As always check with the locals. If you don't mind crowds Peigon Forge is a place people want to see. Finally, I like the foothills parkway( between 129 and 321) a 20 mile strech with plenty of places to stop and look over the valley.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Sorry you had that experience in Gatlinburg. I have been with groups of bikes several times . always stay in the same Mom & Pops motel in Gatlinburg and never been hassled, even after several return trips got discounts. Though the traffic in Pigeon Forge is horrible there are several back roads to miss some of the congestion.You have to plan on getting in and out of the area. Another thing I noticed you have that OU symbol, there in the land of Rocky Top they probably don't cotton to your kind. Then on the other hand there is nothing wrong with Cheerokee, you could also try out Bryson City as a base camp or any of those small surrounding towns
Yea, college allegiances run deep and wide for sure!!! I wore my OU ballcap that week so who knows....lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts