Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles are you putting on the bike before swapping belts? Im just past 30k miles and it seems to still be going strong. Belt technology is pretty amazing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
I have over 33k on mine. I noticed a Lil wear on it when I changed out my tires and wheels but it's nothing I'm concerned about

·
Registered
852 Posts
I've never had an issue and I've had several bikes with 50-100,000 miles on the belt. If you aren't doing burnouts and you don't get damage from rocks etc.. they last a long time. You should definitely inspect it regularly though. They can get torn up from debris. look for holes, cracks or broken teeth.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
My softail had 80K when I traded it on the first belt. No problems. My Dyna had 50K on the stock belt without issue, and the last RG had 71K on teh stock belt without issue.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. This is like how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
520 Posts
I bought a softail custom in July of 1988, 3 weeks later there was a piece of gravel that had gotten pressed thru the belt from the sprocket side. it took a punch and a ballpeen hammer to get it out.. sold that bike in 1996 with 75K on the clock and the speedo cable wasn't attached for 2 seasons... the hole left behind was still very visible but no larger. of course that STC only weighed 600lbs but was driven much harder than I push the glide.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've got 20k on mine before I saw a puncture from a rock. Dead center of belt width about 1/8th-3/16th in diameter. I just keep an eye on it. I don't do hole shots so I'm not worried.

·
Registered
149 Posts
On my 2001 Road King I had one go in Durango Colorado with about 10,000 miles on the bike. We had ridden on some gravel roads. Replaced at the local dealer. The replacement for that belt broke with less than 7,000 miles on it in my driveway. I replaced that one myself. The new one has over 30,000 miles with no problem. I think the most common source of break is rocks caught in the belt.

·
Administrator
10,483 Posts
Put over 200k on the 1988 Tour Glide belt , had 140k ish on the second belt when I sold it ..

If ya don't pick up road debris or run it too loose , it will go a good ways ..

Have only known of one to break , my budd on a road trip , we pulled out of a gas station and it broke at the pump on a Sunday afternoon ..

Broke out the handy dandy emergency repair belt , that I don't think they make anymore ..

JtB

·
Registered
69 Posts
My original belt went 100K miles. I replaced it & the replacement went 3K miles. It was not a Harley belt. Went with a Harley belt & have 5K miles now. But I also went from a 1.5" belt to a 1" belt.

Toby

1 - 18 of 18 Posts