Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna be doing a motor swap in a few week and I'm looking to replace the drive belt since I'll have everything apart already. I'm NOT looking to convert to a chain but I'm wondering if theres anything better/stronger available other than a stock replacement belt. I've seen belts advertised as kevlar or carbon fiber or whatever but are they worth the money?

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I'm gonna be doing a motor swap in a few week and I'm looking to replace the drive belt since I'll have everything apart already. I'm NOT looking to convert to a chain but I'm wondering if theres anything better/stronger available other than a stock replacement belt. I've seen belts advertised as kevlar or carbon fiber or whatever but are they worth the money?
If you are sticking with belt drive I don't think there is any reason to look past the HD belt. I had 93k on my 2012 when I sold it and the last 47k I was running a 120ST with 132tq and I rode it like I stole it with the original belt. Always inspected it and never any issues. It is an extremely durable belt and the only ones I've ever heard of needing to be replaced either had well over 100k miles on it, was on a bike with 145Hp/145Tq and the rider did a lot of hole shots, or if it picked up a rock and it damaged the belt. Outside of that the best option if you are building high Hp/Tq and plan on abusing I would just switch to chain and not worry about it.

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are sticking with belt drive I don't think there is any reason to look past the HD belt. I had 93k on my 2012 when I sold it and the last 47k I was running a 120ST with 132tq and I rode it like I stole it with the original belt. Always inspected it and never any issues. It is an extremely durable belt and the only ones I've ever heard of needing to be replaced either had well over 100k miles on it, was on a bike with 145Hp/145Tq and the rider did a lot of hole shots, or if it picked up a rock and it damaged the belt. Outside of that the best option if you are building high Hp/Tq and plan on abusing I would just switch to chain and not worry about it.
Yeah I should have between 120 to 130tq when I'm done and I do ride it hard now in stock form. I figured since it'll be apart already I'd change the belt to be on the safe side since it has 60k on it and I should be close to doubling the power numbers. I guess the stock belts do hold up pretty good.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I put a new belt on my bike when I did the engine swap and I stayed with the HD belt and when I took the old belt off it looked like new except for a little lighter color. I would recommend since you have it apart to put a new stator in the bike and new primary case bearings.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Good advice from IM, and yes I would stick with the stock belt also, extremely durable.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I’m just curious, what would be the advantage to converting to a chain? Wouldn’t that just increase maintenance or is there some performance advantage?

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I’m just curious, what would be the advantage to converting to a chain? Wouldn’t that just increase maintenance or is there some performance advantage?

Yes, the chain gives you more durability and it will also give you a little more instant Tq. There is more maintenance with the chain but for the guys that are going with higher performance engines, and are going to use the power, going chain drive is the best option.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Common to hate on anything HD , but the belts are great. Only time you really see one fail is user issues. One on my 1996 is 22 years old still going. Have never had to replace one on any HD ever.

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Common to hate on anything HD , but the belts are great. Only time you really see one fail is user issues. One on my 1996 is 22 years old still going. Have never had to replace one on any HD ever.
There is no "hate" on anything HD. I'm simply trying to find out if there is something that might be better or stronger for the motor upgrade I'm doing. I'm trying to get as much info as possible because I'm looking to do it right the first time. The bikes gonna be apart so I'm gonna replace "wear" items as it goes back together

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Also agree with the OEM belt... I had put 30k hard miles on my 124" with no issues.. Bike had 80k total on it when traded in..

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
There is no "hate" on anything HD. I'm simply trying to find out if there is something that might be better or stronger for the motor upgrade I'm doing. I'm trying to get as much info as possible because I'm looking to do it right the first time. The bikes gonna be apart so I'm gonna replace "wear" items as it goes back together
Did not single you out on that . It is pretty common.

·
Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,163 Posts
I would recommend since you have it apart to put a new stator in the bike and new primary case bearings.
+1 on that. Particularly the stator. Mine took a dump at SW in Banff (2011 Ultra with about 48,000 miles). Gotta get to the guts to change it and that's where the cost is. Calgary HD took care of me, but it wasn't a cheap fix. Better to have it done while the inner primary is off.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
the original equipment belt is the way to go,

A bunch my riding buds Run motors from the mid 130s to near 200, they air them out regularly, but not stupid, some with big miles, all of them are running OE belt and pulleys.
Remember to take a good look at the pulleys while you are in there...

Reactions: rlaf75 and RGKen

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
OME belts are really great; at 20 years I change the belt on my Heritage, apart from being faded and a couple of small cracks it looked OK. The belt on my 09 CVO still looks new.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts