Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been in conversation with a few folk who seem to think there is adequate medical coverage ($150,000 -$300,000) on driver and passenger policies for single vehicle accidents (You run off the road) The most I have heard of is anywhere from nothing to $10,000. And I think if you hit a car and its your fault you will not be covered for medical on your policy. If it is their fault their policy will pay. If its hit and run you are out of luck? ( I want to borrow out a ride to my nephew who has no personal medical policy.) Any one have experience with this?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Been in conversation with a few folk who seem to think there is adequate medical coverage ($150,000 -$300,000) on driver and passenger policies for single vehicle accidents (You run off the road) The most I have heard of is anywhere from nothing to $10,000. And I think if you hit a car and its your fault you will not be covered for medical on your policy. If it is their fault their policy will pay. If its hit and run you are out of luck? ( I want to borrow out a ride to my nephew who has no personal medical policy.) Any one have experience with this?
Every state is different. In my state, your car insurance is what picks up your medical. The coverage limits some people see ( $150,000 - $300,000 ) are basically to cover damage to others you may be liable for.
Best to always check local laws and an insurance agent, if you use one.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Many states have "no fault" insurance. Here in KY the drivers who accept no fault have $10K in coverage available to pay for your medical needs no matter who is at fault. For more than 1 reason I rejected the no fault provision and I don't have the $10K coverage but I am 67 and have Medicare and my state retirement coverage picks up the Medicare-related co-pays and such that I don't need a separate Medicare supplement policy. So, I maintain coverage on all our vehicles to cover others we might injure but we don't need to pay any premium(s) to have additional medical coverage for ourselves. Do you already have decent health insurance benefits through your employer? If so you may not need any additional medical coverage for yourself.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'm guessing that your medical insurance should kick in after your auto/motorcycle insurance maxes out. I have a personal umbrella policy that would cover me if my passenger sues me. My wife is the only person who rides on the back so that's not an issue.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts

I would say this sounds like a very bad idea. Many insurance companies get sketchy with just liability and collision portions of the policy when someone else is riding your bike, even with your permission, I'd hate to think about the medical portion.
Not to mention, if he hurts or damages anyone else or their property, will your insurance pay, GUARANTEED?? If not, guess who gets sued.....

I broke a leg a few years ago, ended up using up more than $400,000, and that doesn't include lost work time or any long term issues.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Every state is somewhat different. In Louisiana, your BI (Bodily Injury) coverage covers the people you hit if it's your fault, as well as your passenger. Again, this only kicks in if it's your fault and doesn't cover YOU. You need Medical Payments coverage to actually cover you. If you have health insurance, the auto insurance pays first.

Again, every state is different, so ask an agent for state specifics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts