Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a HD knockoff rider backrest. I know, I know. Backrest itself is not bad, mounting bracket is just as crappy as the HD design. The backrest sits pretty high up on my back, even at the lowest setting in the bracket. I was hoping to have the backrest set where the bottom almost contacts the seat, so I can get lower lumbar support. The backrest is almost higher than the detachable HD passenger backrest I have for my wife till the tour pack comes from HD. Any suggestions on another brand or style of driver backrest?

By the way I am using a Sundowner 2 up seat in place of the stock seat.

2021 Road Glide Standard

·
Registered
193 Posts
I know you are looking for a solution for your current one but you would love the LePera I just got with a backrest since it sits on top of the seat if preferred and it pivots as well so it basically adjusts to your back.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RGL 114
9 Posts
I bought Kuryakyn knockoff from Amazon. I run it at the lowest setting resting on top of the seat. One third the cost and has been fine so far.
INNOGLOW Motorcycle Adjustable Driver Backrest Plug-In Rider Backrest Fit For Harley Davidson Touring Electra Glide Road Glide Street Glide Road King (Harley Davidson) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2XRXRD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_TY9WG3P52KZKR8ZV9TJF
Does it go on and off easy or is it a pain like the HD style?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought Kuryakyn knockoff from Amazon. I run it at the lowest setting resting on top of the seat. One third the cost and has been fine so far.
INNOGLOW Motorcycle Adjustable Driver Backrest Plug-In Rider Backrest Fit For Harley Davidson Touring Electra Glide Road Glide Street Glide Road King (Harley Davidson) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2XRXRD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_TY9WG3P52KZKR8ZV9TJF
I have been eying that one. I see a few on Ebay that look exactly like that one. It looks similar to the backrests I have on my Mustang seat for the Kawasaki Vaquero, but with more adjustments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a pain in the ass, just like the HD style. I don't like the way it flops around in the bracket once the backrest arms engage the holes in the bracket. On the lowest setting it sits way high up on my back. I just want that lower lumbar supported. Feels better for me when I can push back on the highway pegs and press the lower back muscles.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I cut my bar to the length I liked and welded it up. Smooth welds and powder coat.
Same here - I did not like how high it was, and the angle was not ideal for the adjustable backrest mount that HD sells. So I cut out a section and changed the angle a bit when it was welded back up. But I didn't smooth the welds or powder coat it, that is pretty cool. Mine looks a bit rough but as low as it is you can't see it unless you look LOL.

·
Registered
249 Posts
In 2017 I bought a new UL and proceeded to find out how (poorly, badly, stupidly, carelessly ...take your pick) H-D designed their seats and backrests. I wanted an adjustable rider's back rest. With the adjustable bracket, the backrest itself, and the H-D slip-on organizer for my wife, I was into it for $350. For a backrest? Yes. To make matters worse, I couldn't swap for any seat because the adjustable backrest bracket only worked with the stock seat. So I spent $350 for a backpad which put me in seat jail. Ridiculous. I stuck with it, but was never not sorry for giving H-D my money there.

I've examined and ridden on a Le Pera (RT66) and I will tell you flatly it makes the stock H-D seats I've owned compare to a romper room toy. Not only that, but the Le Pera backrest is supremely simple, fits great, looks awesome, feels fine....and its EASY to remove. It literally is so good that it makes most of the H-D stuff a throwaway to me. Most of the aftermarket replacement seats and backrests for H-D are built way stronger and better, not to mention better performing over many years.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
It’s lots easier than the HD style. It slides straight in and out of the mount bracket. A pressure detent on the main mount bracket holds it in place at one of several dimples on the riser bracket attached to the seat. Setting it up is straight forward with the longest time being soent to figure out which combo of bracket mount holes and angle to use for your seat and the angle you want the backrest to be at in the final config.

Reactions: Oclaf

·
Registered
2020 H-D FLTRX Road Glide
984 Posts
LePera backrest is great. But with all backrests they can cause back injury in an accident especially being rear ended. I know from experience.

·
Registered
2020 Roadglide special
42 Posts
I actually like the HD adjustable. I have a very bad lower back and if i let it go forward, it fit's me fine. I have the one with the cable mounted to adjust front to back while riding

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like the HD rider backrest a lot. It is fixed, doesn't move around and allows total lumbar support. I guess everyone is different, but the HD backrest fits me just great. (and I can remove it in less than 5 seconds.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts