Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I looked through some old threads, and can only find comments about people getting a drone with a full face or 3/4 helmet.

I just got a harley 3/4 helmet for cold/rain, and the drone is so friggin annoying. Aside from wearing ear plugs, has anyone found any solution to the helmet drone aside from putting the stock exhaust back on?

Any thoughts on the lack of padding over the ears causing the noice? Perhaps filling them with foam would help reduce?

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Hey all,
I looked through some old threads, and can only find comments about people getting a drone with a full face or 3/4 helmet.

I just got a harley 3/4 helmet for cold/rain, and the drone is so friggin annoying. Aside from wearing ear plugs, has anyone found any solution to the helmet drone aside from putting the stock exhaust back on?

Any thoughts on the lack of padding over the ears causing the noice? Perhaps filling them with foam would help reduce?

Anyone?
touring ain't much fun with loud pipes.

that said, when in that situation i hook up my earbuds to a phone and rock on...
etymotic makes a great set for under $65.
they'll take awhile to get used to, but are great for engine & wind noise.

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/mk5.html

or foam earplugs if you just want quiet.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Hey all,

Anyone?
I've never worn a full face or ¾ helmet. What exactly is a Drone?

·
Registered
775 Posts
I wear a modular riding a 16 RGU and I am not aware of this drone sound. On my last bike I had D&D exhaust and on highway speeds I had the tinny sound but that was from the exhaust.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I wear a Shark Evoline 3 helmet. Before that was a Harley Modular in cold and a Harley 3/4. Never have a drone in my ears. Last bike had V&H hi outputs. This has CVO cans and fullsac baffles. Bike before them had a Rinehart 2-1.

What pipes are you running?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm going through the same issue right now. Did 6000 mile ride with Harley/HJC modular helmet and had lots of exhaust drone, mind you I am running CFR's with Fuelmoto headpipe and a 14" Klockweks windshield so it is rather loud. I seem to have less drone running my half helmet. I am experimenting with a LS 3/4 helmet that seems to be quieter than the full face. For long rides I like to have a fullface and am looking at a Schuberth helmet. These rider buds look promising too. https://www.facebook.com/riderbuds/

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never worn a full face or ¾ helmet. What exactly is a Drone?
Just a low frequency noise, only get it when the shield is down fully. I don't get the drone with my half helmet.

Reactions: geo8866

·
Registered
372 Posts
I wear a Shark Evoline 3 helmet. Before that was a Harley Modular in cold and a Harley 3/4. Never have a drone in my ears. Last bike had V&H hi outputs. This has CVO cans and fullsac baffles. Bike before them had a Rinehart 2-1.

What pipes are you running?
I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that it could be the helmet. I have a Shark Evoline 3, which I never had much problem with. I now wear a Shark Evo-One. With both helmets I've taken to wearing eag plugs because I have started to loose some of my hearing in my left ear. With the Evo-One, particularly with it all closed up, I get a reverb, which I never got with the Evoline 3. If I crack open the face sheild, it isn't anywhere near as bad as it is when fully closed.

I've never tried a true full face helmet, but its my understanding that any of the modular ones, because of their mechanisms, are nosier.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I get drone too. Tried 3 different helmets. Several exhast changes. And have come to the conclusion that for "me" it's wind at certain angles. Sometimes I can ride all day and not have it bother me, sometimes it's painful after a hour. Ear plugs work, padding the helmet doesn't. Seems to happen most often on long run in one direction, like i90 to Sturgis. But never happens on winding roads through the forest. So after a couple of bikes and a couple hundred thousand miles over 30 years that's my take. But some people never have any trouble with it at all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that it could be the helmet. I have a Shark Evoline 3, which I never had much problem with. I now wear a Shark Evo-One. With both helmets I've taken to wearing eag plugs because I have started to loose some of my hearing in my left ear. With the Evo-One, particularly with it all closed up, I get a reverb, which I never got with the Evoline 3. If I crack open the face sheild, it isn't anywhere near as bad as it is when fully closed.

I've never tried a true full face helmet, but its my understanding that any of the modular ones, because of their mechanisms, are nosier.
Somewhere on the forum I made a post (earlier this year) about droning inside my helmet and buffeting issues. At the time I had just switched over to a Shark Evoline 3, changed seats (2" further back) and added lowers. Alllllll that stuff combined to cause a very loud drone at 55+ mph. Having the shield open helped, but I ended up switching to an Arai Quantum X and changed my shield over to a Freedom Touring 15". For ME, that was the right combination.

I am convinced that there is no one, perfect solution for all. Everyone is shaped different and has different riding posture and bike configurations. When it comes to certain things like a helmet drone, then it could be any 1 of 10 things... or it could be all of them. Start with the cheapest thing first (foam ear plugs) and work your way up. I spent a ton of money to solve my problem, but it was well worth it every time I ride!

Reactions: Little Wing

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have always wore a 1\2 helmet. I bought a 3/4 helmet with flu, shield this summer. Love the wind reduction, but thought I was going to go deaf. Exhaust drone was so loud, switched back to the old helmet and can hardly hear the exhaust on my bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts