Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around at reviews for the progressive drop-in kit for my 2012 FLTRU at still can't figure out if I am going to need to take off the forks, so those of you that have installed them in a 2009 and later model, was it a 30 min. install or a 3 hours?

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have been looking around at reviews for the progressive drop-in kit for my 2012 FLTRU at still can't figure out if I am going to need to take off the forks, so those of you that have installed them in a 2009 and later model, was it a 30 min. install or a 3 hours?

Thank you for your time.
When I did it on my streetglide (lowering for a 21" wheel) I had to drop the fork legs. I would need to look at my current bike but I'm thinking that the way they bolt up to the top of the triple tree you will have to drop the legs. If you are lowering for a wheel you will get a better feel from monotubes. I wouldn't use the drop in kit again myself. I would get springs from Racetech or monotubes.

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
Yes, they're drop in , once the forks are separated. :D + 1 on the mono tubes.
It's really not a bad job.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Yes, "drop-in" ain't really because the fork tubes have to be at least dropped down if not completely out. In order to do that, the front wheels and fender has to come loose because both will cause a bind in trying to move the fork tubes..............

Just drop them out and put in Monotubes, it's only a few minutes more to put in the whole cartridge and the ride will be MUCH better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any videos on how to install the drop-ins? Everything i can find is either drop-ins on a dyna or monotubes in a bagger.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Any videos on how to install the drop-ins? Everything i can find is either drop-ins on a dyna or monotubes in a bagger.
Pretty much the same procedure except that with drop ins you don't disassemble the valving in the bottom of the fork tubes, or drain the oil with drop-ins.
Even with drop in you have to remove the fork tubes, remove the top caps, pull the old springs and drop in new ones.

Installation of either will be the same on a bagger or a dyna, forks are essentially the same, just more stuff in the way on a bagger.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm in the middle of doing the Monotube install on mine. It's really not bad....just take your time.

-Shark nose comes off (at least I did)
-Main ignition/tumble switch comes off
-Gauge cluster and housing comes off (housing just loose...may have to disconnect the cluster adjustment switch from main wire harness)
-Wheels, brakes, fender comes off

From here, you should have access to all the pinch bolts and main cap screw to remove legs. Little tight in some areas but you will manage.

You should have access to do the drop in kit or monotube.

this is my first time using the JS Jack....wow, what a world of difference making the job easier!!!! Made my life that much easier, I forgot how expensive it was!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everybody, I was able to "successfully" install my dropin kit and my new 944 on the back, the bike rode like a charm for a week... but now one of the forks is leaking, I guess I should off listen to some of the members and change the seals at the same time, at least now i know how to remove them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts