Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While down at bike week in daytona a buddys bike dropped the rear cylinder and then died. Upon startup again it sounded like it had no oil in the motor. Took it to the local dealer and they said that was normal and it was a safety measure built into the bike? Has anybody else experienced or heard of this? What are your suggestions?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
While down at bike week in daytona a buddys bike dropped the rear cylinder and then died. Upon startup again it sounded like it had no oil in the motor. Took it to the local dealer and they said that was normal and it was a safety measure built into the bike? Has anybody else experienced or heard of this? What are your suggestions?

The new HDs have an automated rear cylinder shut-down when engine temp goes too high (a good idea, especially with 103"). This feature is activated if you twist the throttle backwards while sitting. Were y'all sitting still for some time waiting for traffic to clear so you could move again (or something like that)?

If you think that's probably the situation, then it's not supposed to make the engine die so the dealer didn't account for this. Your bud should probably go back and make them look into why the engine conked out instead of merely shutting down the rear cylinder... plus...

It's not good to let an air-cooled engine get so hot that this new safety feature is activated (the Main Street crawl can get'cha ;)). I hope your buddy didn't just keep letting her run on and on until she finally died even though the new feature had tried to reduce hazard to the engine.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I thought it was activated when rolled forward. If you rolled it back you would just rev up the motor.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
you dont have to activate or deactivate for each use

set it on or off

JtB
Thanks JtB... I forget about that. In fact, I can't remember if you need to set it each time you come to a stop, each time you start the engine, <whatever>. I also didn't clearly explain that, to me anyway, "backward" was opposite to the direction a rider typically forces the throttle grip. I probably should have said "Read the manual to make sure..." someplace since it's indeed not a truely accurate or totally complete summary.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it was due to idle and no he didnt just keep letting it go till it died it just died shortly after the cylinder shut down from my understanding. I wasnt there to say for sure I just posted this for him. However with the vast knowledge of this group I figured this would be the best place to get a second answer.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I've had my 2012 in extreme heat and the rear cylinder shuts down. I left the option activated as I prefer not to cook the engine. It continues to run but loops along on the front cylinder. Bring up the rpm a little and the rear cylinder will kick back in. This was in the Arizona summer. It was 110 outside.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
It is called the EITMS (Engine Idle Temperature Management System) and it has been on the touring models since 08 that I know of it may have been on earlier models but I am not sure. The EITMS when activated will shut down the rear cylinder when the bike front cylinder head temp reaches 290 to 298 degrees depending on the sensitivity of the sensor that is located at the rear of the front cylinder head, the bike also has to be idling such as stopped at a traffic light or stuck in traffic. The EITMS can be turned on/off by the rider, while watching the cruise control light in the tach, to turn on the EITMS roll the throttle forward and HOLD and the cruise light will flash on/off red when the light turns green the EITMS is enabled then release throttle, to turn the EITMS off roll the throttle forward and HOLD the cruise light will flash on/off green when the cruise light turns red the EITMS is disabled release throttle. Even with the EITMS activated and the rear cylinder shuts down the bike should still idle and as soon as the throttle is turned to accelerate the bike the rear cylinder should automatically come back on.

·
Registered
853 Posts
^^^^^^^^^Couldn't have said it better!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1 - 13 of 13 Posts