Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 that is all stock and found a set of used 4" Cobra Slip-Ons and installed them last night. Great sound out of the right pipe but would be a lot better if that same sound was coming from both pipes. So now I would like to add true dual head pipes and nothing else at this time. I have always heard that you can change slip-ons or A/C without adding a fuel manager but if you do both you will need to add one. I would like to just add a set of true duals and see how the bike does from there with just the slip-ons and truel dual headers. I was suprised that the bike seems to run a little smoother and better throttle response with just the slip-ons. The heat does not really bother me now and I love getting almost 300 miles per tank so if I do not need a fuel manager with just adding slip-ons and dual headers that would be good. Later if I want to add a little more I will get the PCV and A/C from Fuel Moto.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You're pertty much right on. Changing the mufflers or air intake won't upset the balance much and the bike will still run well. Once you start letting more air in and out, now you need to add more gas to keep it from leaning out. Every bike is just a little different so if you are happy with the way yours is running now, great. Save your money to spend on handguns and booze.

·
Registered
781 Posts
So Doc, I thought if I put true duals on, I would need a fuel controller or tuner. Is that only true if I change the air filter? If so, I think I'll just add true duals and see how that goes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't do it.

The MOCO sets these engines up to run LEAN out fo the box to meet EPA standards, ANYTHING you do to let more air in and out will lean it farther.

I've seen it time and again.

Do what you want, but I think you're making the right decision to at least ask first.

This is only my opinion, and it ain't worth the paper it's wrote on....

:D

·
Registered
246 Posts
So Doc, I thought if I put true duals on, I would need a fuel controller or tuner. Is that only true if I change the air filter? If so, I think I'll just add true duals and see how that goes.
Going with the duals will most likely lean the bike out even more than what it already is. You said you didn't mind the heat so be ready for it. The bike will run without adding a fuel controller but where you live, how you ride, the weather, will all affect you power. If it were me (and it was), put on a TFI by Dobeck first. Then, as you add more "stuff", you can add more fuel as needed.
I like the TFI and use it. It is simple to install and use. On the plus side, if you are a Vet, you can get a SWEET deal from Dobeck.
Just to let you know, I tried doing the same as you and could not stand the heat.
Good luck, Doc.

·
Registered
525 Posts
What kind of oil temps or head temps are you seeing? How do the plugs look now? Are you running dino oil or synthetics? If your getting 300 miles out of tank, you are almost certainly running lean.

I get about 240-250 from a tank, and I (generally :eek:) shift at 2500-3000, using a basic stage one setup, Rush pipes and SE intake, and a PCV setup by Fuel Moto.

I normally see 230-250 degrees on my HD oil dipstick, and it's pretty consistently in that range, which I feel is perfect with synthetic oil. Hot enough to burn off the condensation in the oil, and not too hot for long life.

It's all yours to do with as you want, but I wouldn't want my bike running that lean.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts