Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed out the Metzler T8 with a Dunlop AE 2nd generation tire. The Metzler had over 18k and been a good tire until the blow-out. I really didn't like seeing those cracks in the tire , that and I felt the Dunlop AE felt to me , to be a softer compound . I decided to switch to Dunlop and match the front tire . When I changed the front out back in 14, Metzler didn't make the T8 in 18".
These tires are both the oem size and the Metzler is still mounted on the rim.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Now that they discontinued the Elite 3 from dunlop. I'll be getting either the AE or the new Elite 4. I got 25k out of my last E3. All my dunlop wear great.

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
In some forums and on FB a lot of people talk bad about Dunlops, but they've been very good with me and I have gotten more mileage out of Dunlop than other brands I've tried. I plan to stick with Dunlop with maybe one exception, the front tire on my 17 is an Avon Cobra because of the size, if I'm not able to find a Dunlop in that size it will probably be my lone Avon, unless it convinces me that Avon might be better.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
23,000 on the rear each time with some wear left. Changed one at 21,000 because we were leaving on a 5,000 trip. The Dunlops Elites have always worked well for me.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
In some forums and on FB a lot of people talk bad about Dunlops, but they've been very good with me and I have gotten more mileage out of Dunlop than other brands I've tried. I plan to stick with Dunlop with maybe one exception, the front tire on my 17 is an Avon Cobra because of the size, if I'm not able to find a Dunlop in that size it will probably be my lone Avon, unless it convinces me that Avon might be better.
I think a large part of that is newbies jump on the D402 hate wagon without knowing what they're talking about and lump every Dunlop into the same category. High miles, soft compound, great rain Tire, smooth as silk and MADE IN THE USA.

YA. I'm not switching brands any time soon.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I've been running American Elites on mine since the OEM wore out.From what I've been able to gather,it's the same tire but with a different tread pattern to avoid a conflict with the moco.I get around 18-20k out fo them,same as I did the OEM tire.Never a problem with wet pavement.

Dunlops are the only american made motorcycle tire,and so I like em for that reason as well.

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think a large part of that is newbies jump on the D402 hate wagon without knowing what they're talking about and lump every Dunlop into the same category. High miles, soft compound, great rain Tire, smooth as silk and MADE IN THE USA.

YA. I'm not switching brands any time soon.
I actually liked my oem 402 tire. If I didn't have to buy it at the dealership for $$$, I probably would have never switched in the first place. I also got over 18k on the oem before it started to cup.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I agree with most everyone on the Dunlop Elites. On my 16 when I went to the Elites I can't believe how well they wear with no cupping on the front at all. I've got 14,000 miles on the front and back and still have 4/32 left on the tread. New, the back is 9.5/32 so that is best wear for any tire I've ever own. That's with at least 2 tanks of gas on the dyno too which really eats on the tire. +1 on Dunlop Elites.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Dunlop American Elite info

I spoke to someone at Dunlop. Very knowledgeable. He said the OEM was developed in 2009 with HD. Dunlop developed the new tire a few years ago without HD. Changed tread and made other changes so they feel you will get better mileage and water traction. Heck of a deal at J&P Cycles plus $40 rebate from Dunlop. Bought a pair for future change.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Just bought front and back Dunlop AE gen 2 for $306 and $40 rebate on RevZilla. Born on date 12/2016 rear and 5/2016 front.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I have over 129,000 miles on my Glide. 120,000 of them have been on American Elites. I get over 20,000 a set, and change out both at the same time, always, regardless of wear. When one goes, both go. Usually right before heading off to Shark Week.

When I got my first set, they only came in two sizes. My front and my rear. They were really the first of the new generation tires. Now they are on their 2nd Generation, and a lot more sizes.

Since getting that first set, I have never had any thoughts of using any other tires. And, they are made in America!

·
Registered
144 Posts
All about timing. When I looked at Revzilla 2 days ago they had the same price as J&P $328. Nice catch!

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've got Dunlop AE's on my 10. They have an excellent cornering profile and are surprisingly forgiving during spirited riding. Pushing the limits in a set of switchbacks got only a slight weave out of the front end (rear shocks were - to stiff - still set for 2-up riding), but the damn thing held just fine without a correction. The breakaway is smooth and predictable enough to actually be fun.

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
67 Posts
The Stock Dunlops on my 15 RGS lasted to 20k, even had some thread left.
I often check the air pressure and don't get to aggressive on the road.
Front is still in decent shape, will change in the next few weeks.
My 1996 Heritage used to run thru tires every 10k.

·
Registered
144 Posts
For front and back?? I was all in at $328 delivered for the pair.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Been buying mine from jake wilson.Usually get free shipping too.Just got a back for 206.That would be the 180/65 -16.Think I paid 350 for a pair from there last time.I had to get another rear,I picked up a nice long nail somewhere,and I'm just not comfortable with a patched tire.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts