Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,794 Posts
I usually have the dealer do that first service and have them put regular dinosaur oil back in again. After that I do the engine/trans/primary oils and filter myself and switch over to synthetic at the 5K. Typically I also install a remote oil filter kit then as well, I can't stand the mess it makes changing the filter. The remote oil filter kit solves that problem (Moore's Sensible Products).

I don't mess with brake fluid. I usually have the dealer replace the brake fluid every 3 years (don't get that long sometimes because the "new bike" itch has to be scratched). Keep your receipts, mark the dates and what you did in the back of your owners manual and all should be good.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Welcome, from New York, to The Greatest Forum on The Internet!
Congrats on The New Glide.
I have a 12 Custom and have done all of My Own Services and Work on it.
Just make sure to keep a Record Log in case You experience any problems while it's still under Warranty.
Mike U.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I do mine when I feel like it.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I have done all my own work on my bike thus far. I did just have the tires changed yesterday and am having Harley do the ABS brake flush with their fancy shmancy tool today. Doing the rest of the 10k service on my bike tomorrow. I am pretty damn anal about things and know that it may take me 2-3 times as long to do, but it will be done right and I will save some money to boot. Plus it makes me feel proud that I can learn/practice these skills and get good results. Thank God for YouTube!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Welcome and great looking bike there. I do about 2/3 of the services myself, and let the dealership do a major one once in a while - just because I know I'm not the sharpest wrench in the bunch.

Ride safe & enjoy!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
If you are capable just do it yourself and document it all along with receipts to CYA. I usually try to negotiate in the first service and let it fall on the dealer to go over it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Welcome on in! I let the dealer do the first one and whichever ones I don't feel like doing. If you are able, do it, that's how you get to know your ride, up close and personal..... Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Do most of my own after the first two. I did my bar swap, installed full exhaust, my brakes, and similar level jobs. When I get ready to do the cam swap, I will probably have my indy guy do that. I had him do the oil pan replacement when I over torqued the plug and split the pan.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I usually have the dealer do that first service and have them put regular dinosaur oil back in again. After that I do the engine/trans/primary oils and filter myself and switch over to synthetic at the 5K. Typically I also install a remote oil filter kit then as well, I can't stand the mess it makes changing the filter. The remote oil filter kit solves that problem (Moore's Sensible Products).
Any experience with the oil filter relocation and a warranty? I saw kits like this and I think it's a great idea, but I fear the dealer blaming it if I would have a warranty claim.

·
Premium Member
2,768 Posts
Welcome. I do all my own general maintenance. I save all receipts in case there is a warranty issue. (They've never asked for them though.)

·
Super Moderator
1,794 Posts
Any experience with the oil filter relocation and a warranty? I saw kits like this and I think it's a great idea, but I fear the dealer blaming it if I would have a warranty claim.
Never been an issue. Does not alter any EPA or CARB compliant items like intake or exhaust. In fact it adds about 1/2 quart of oil capacity due to the plumbing. Mechanics like it because there is no mess for them to clean up at the front of the bike.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
761 Posts
I do all my own service/modification work. Lol. I do have a number of customers that will stop in and ask me questions about something they're trying to do at home.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Grab yourself a shop manual at the dealer. This is really a must have even tho they are not cheap, I believe around 75.00. Alot of the work is easy but if your unsure just drop a note here and theres many of us willing to give advice as well as help you spend some cash.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts