Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While cruising around the site I stumbled across a build thread where the outer fairing was lined with Dynamat. This thought never crossed my mind, not I'm curious if anyone believes this will help the sound on the bike or not?

I would like opinions. Thx

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
For you guys answering his question do you think the dyna mat is also good for lower powered systems like Hogtunes?

·
Registered
82 Posts
currently waiting on my inner fairing to come back, but planning on doing the Dynamat myself. It is a bit expensive, but it will remove a lot of noise from rattles. Think of the kids with all the boom in their trunk and their license plates nearly rattle off. this stuff stops a lot of that....the rattles not the boom.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Dynamat will help remove rattles for any reason it will basically be a thin layer of material that can be stuck to anything via the adhesive backing. It's going to give the mating part some density. The material is similar to refrigerator magnet sheeting.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
While cruising around the site I stumbled across a build thread where the outer fairing was lined with Dynamat. This thought never crossed my mind, not I'm curious if anyone believes this will help the sound on the bike or not?

I would like opinions. Thx
I believe it does help the sound, as it helps direct all the sound forward. Also, to me it's a lot better than the foam pads that come in the J&M speaker kits because it's thinner and will not interfere when reinstalling the fairing.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The DynaMat is fairley dense (heavy), it might fatigue the plastic, especially around the fasteners. You don't have to cover all the surfaces to get the proper results. There are less dense (lighter) alternatives out there from other manufacturers and DynaMat. Also, you might have to cut some sections so that the fairing will fit with proper clearance.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Speaker baffles.

I used XTC 6 1/2 foam speaker baffles that isolate the sound from the inner fairing. Bass response is much improved. Little tricky getting the fairing back on. Acts like an enclosure.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
There is a guy down around Cincinnati, that is working on a 'Kit' for the Roadglide. He is a Dynamat supplier, and has been on a T.V. show here and there for his Hot Rod Custom Cars.
Gibson Guitars built him a Custom Shop 'Les Paul' painted to match his ride and it is freakn wicked!
I've seen it in Person.:D

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I used the Dynamat "Superlite". It did take a lot of the "rattle" out of the pieces of the bike when I am blasting the tunes. To be honest, the fact your not in an "enclosed space" I cant say its a must do mod, but it does help some. You dont have to go crazy though and cover the entire inside of the fairing.(i identified a few spots where it may have caused some fitment issues.) going 3 to 4 inches outward from the speaker opening should suffice. I added to the lowers and rear speaker pods also. (I have the 300 watt 6 speaker Hogtunes system)

My big concern was weight therefore my reasoning on using Superlite version and not covering the entire inside of the fairing.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I used a product called peel n seal from lowes. Similar to dynamat, a lot cheaper, and easier to install bc it is a 6" wide roll, not one big sheet. I think it did make a difference.

·
Registered
470 Posts
i lined my fairing with dynamat and put the dynasorb pieces right behind the speakers .... i think its a waste of time and money

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you're running with amps, they need as much ventilation as possible, there's not too much as it is. I think it's more important to vent the amps then to try and deaden the sound on an open bike.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i lined my fairing with dynamat and put the dynasorb pieces right behind the speakers .... i think its a waste of time and money
^^^^^^Yea, that!^^^^^^^^^

It's a SOUND DEADENER.

Poly is the answer gentlemen!

Tear that pillowcase off and have enough for 3-4 bikes... doesn't cost a thing.

If the wife won't let ya, pick some up at walmart.

Beav

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I have had the dynomat for 3 yrs in my inner fairing. I THINK it helps, I do know it does add a bit of weight to the fairing. I wish I would have went with some of the other options first but at this point I seriously doubt I am going to strip and clean the dynomat off to try one of the other options. Not yet anyway!

·
Registered
692 Posts
I had a Dynamat alternative that I bought at Frys electronics that I used on a batwing fairing. Sorry I can't recall the brand but it was less expensive but just as good ( you could search Frys website). I had a Fosgate PBR 300 watt amp driving 2 Titan II 6.5" speakers that sounded really good. I also didn't cover the entire inside surface because of the weight but stuck it in what I believed were optimal areas. I think it helped the bottom end a bunch.
Gonna use it on the RGC when I install an amp and speakers .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts