Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got a dyno pass on my bike today to have a set of baseline numbers.

Way back at 5,000 miles, when it was still an 88" stock motor, I had it dynoed after the SERT, slip ons and and Stage 1 install and got 71HP and 78 ft/lbs on TQ.

I did the 95" build probably 5K ago (I have 52,500 miles on the clock now.) My engine specs are in my sig line. While I'm not disappointed in the TQ numbers, I am with the HP numbers. How did I lose 2 HP and gain 10 ft/lbs. TQ at the same time? Something's not right.

The service manager at the HD shop didn't think it was a big deal. He didn't think a proper dyno tune would give me much more than what I already had. In other words, he was suggesting I save the money on the tune, as long as the TQ numbers were the way they were.

I researched this build for a while before I decided on cam and piston combo, and I swore some of the articles I read said to expect 85-90 HP and 90-100 HP. I'm close on TQ, but way off on HP.

Should I go ahead and have it professionally tuned? Do you think I'd be able to get up towards 80HP through the SERT? Around town, the bike runs fine, and has plenty of throttle response for passing.

Opinions, please!

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
That sounds really low for a 95" build. Id be interested in what Frank Drago has to say, or Scott from Hillside.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The heads are ported, polished and decked @ .020. Stock valves. Big Boys told me with with the head work and pistons, I should have an effective compression ratio of @ 9.8:1.

I guess I just need to get a proper dyno tuning. I need to make a road trip to Clermont, FL and see Doc. He's the closest reputable dyno tuner to me.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
What does the AFR trace look like? What gear was the pull done in? Wouldn't hurt to check the CCP, and see if it's near the predicted value, as perhaps the compression is on the low side? Seems like that combo should make more power. Also, seems like SAE correction is generally used. Looks like yours is uncorrected.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeff, this was a one time courtesy pass (it was Dyno Day at the dealership.) I'd have to make an appointment to have a proper dyno tune with the full hook ups. Service manager gave me a ballpark price but advised me to put it off. I'd feel more comfortable with someone who dyno tunes all the time versus someone who doesn't. If I have to shell out the cabbage, I want to get my money's worth. Know what I mean?

·
Administrator
12,484 Posts
Is it the same Dyno that you got your first numbers from? I agree with you, I don't think I'd be a happy camper with 7 more CIs, and only 10 more TQ and 2 less HP, something seems strange, did you change cams.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Jeff, this was a one time courtesy pass (it was Dyno Day at the dealership.) I'd have to make an appointment to have a proper dyno tune with the full hook ups. Service manager gave me a ballpark price but advised me to put it off. I'd feel more comfortable with someone who dyno tunes all the time versus someone who doesn't. If I have to shell out the cabbage, I want to get my money's worth. Know what I mean?
If this is a run with a canned map on your SERT, then i think you will see a big improvement once you get a reputable dyno tune. Keep in mind, I dont know what i am talking about when it comes to this stuff! I have just read enough to know that a canned map is usually only good enough to keep you from hurting your engine.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Understand completely. Given Doc's reputation, and him being pretty close by, it would probably be worth the trip to pay him a visit.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
There is a guy at Tilley HD in Salisbury, NC. From what I have been told, he is the best tuner in our area and is a certified TTS Mastertune technician. I can't remember his name but he is from WV and I'm almost positive his name was on Doc's web-site as a graduate but I just looked and couldn't find Doc's list of graduates. The good thing is, unlike Doc who will only use TTS, he does both TTS and SERT and is not all the way down in Florida. He is thorough and does not rush through the tune. I have not talked to him but have talked to the service manager and he told me to plan on an over-night stay. I don't recall the exact cost but it seams to me it was around $350. I'm planning to take my bike down sometime this spring and thought you might want to check him out. Tilley's has two locations and he is at the Salisbury one.

(704)638-6044

http://www.tilleyhdofsalisbury.com

·
Registered
446 Posts
......seems like SAE correction is generally used. Looks like yours is uncorrected.

Jeff
What Jeff said. SAE (considers elevation, weather etc) is really the standard today. The other issue I have is the graph is really choppy for smoothing 4. I wonder if your rear wheel was not properly set on the dyno wheel. Because of the lack of weight you need to position a motorcycle on the front side of the dyno wheel or you'll get spinning which skews your numbers.

EDIT: You might want to call them and see if they kept your run file. If they did the file can be converted to SAE in the SCT software.

W

·
0 Posts
I personally don't like those numbers at all. Something is just not right. Here is my 95" builds on my 05 Deuce & 02 RK

DEUCE
Andrews 37G Cams
Branch-O'Keefe Heads P& P'd
Cometic .030 Head Gasket
SE Flat top pistons
Adj pushrods
Thunderheaders
93+ HP & just under 101 TQ

RK
My 2002 RK has
Andrews 26G Cams
Branch Touring Heads P & P'd
.040 Cometic Head Gasket
SE Flat Top Pistons
Adj Pushrods
Supertrapp Supermeg Slipons
Right around 88 HP & 101 TQ

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
The torque curve is there, it's just very faint.

I do agree, though, a proper dyno run would be my next step.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
248 Posts
With the changes you made, I would recommend a dyno tune. Make sure it is done by someone that is reputable and that has had positive results. I think you would be a much happier camper with the improved results.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I personally don't like those numbers at all. Something is just not right. Here is my 95" builds on my 05 Deuce & 02 RK

DEUCE
Andrews 37G Cams
Branch-O'Keefe Heads P& P'd
Cometic .030 Head Gasket
SE Flat top pistons
Adj pushrods
Thunderheaders
93+ HP & just under 101 TQ

RK
My 2002 RK has
Andrews 26G Cams
Branch Touring Heads P & P'd
.040 Cometic Head Gasket
SE Flat Top Pistons
Adj Pushrods
Supertrapp Supermeg Slipons
Right around 88 HP & 101 TQ
Woody, I researched several magazine articles before I chose my components, and from what you posted, your Deuce build is similar to mine and I was hoping for numbers similar to yours.

I will pursue a good dyno tune. The price Radioactive stated in his post is about what our local dealer quoted. Something is holding my motor back. Hope to get better numbers soon. Thanks for all your responses, fellas.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Dave if this helps you , this was my TC88 01 Electra Glide , I put a 95" kit in it

Attachments

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Yes you should have better numbers. Just a SE 95 inch motor with 203 cams and SE slips make 80 hp 90tq. and no head work.... And your dyno sheet is showing 3/6 more hp/tq higher in uncorrected.... I dont think its tuned right or theres something wrong with the motor. Do a compression test and leak down see where the motors at...
My 2 cents...

I finally got a dyno pass on my bike today to have a set of baseline numbers.

Way back at 5,000 miles, when it was still an 88" stock motor, I had it dynoed after the SERT, slip ons and and Stage 1 install and got 71HP and 78 ft/lbs on TQ.

I did the 95" build probably 5K ago (I have 52,500 miles on the clock now.) My engine specs are in my sig line. While I'm not disappointed in the TQ numbers, I am with the HP numbers. How did I lose 2 HP and gain 10 ft/lbs. TQ at the same time? Something's not right.

The service manager at the HD shop didn't think it was a big deal. He didn't think a proper dyno tune would give me much more than what I already had. In other words, he was suggesting I save the money on the tune, as long as the TQ numbers were the way they were.

I researched this build for a while before I decided on cam and piston combo, and I swore some of the articles I read said to expect 85-90 HP and 90-100 HP. I'm close on TQ, but way off on HP.

Should I go ahead and have it professionally tuned? Do you think I'd be able to get up towards 80HP through the SERT? Around town, the bike runs fine, and has plenty of throttle response for passing.

Opinions, please!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
for some reason I can not see the graph but if the numbers are really low after a cam change I would be looking at sumping or the cam being a tooth off.

·
Registered
114 Posts
dyno Shyno...If the bike runs good and you like it, who cares about numbers! That is what you were after in the first place right? Not trying to be a smart a$$, but even tuning with a dyno is not IMHO the best thing for your bike. Dyno runs are tough on motors and you can actually peak out your tq and hp #ers and have the bike run like crap in the real world. Let me give you a real world example. My 2002 FLHT has a build that we did at our shop...95" forged wiesco's, Woods 9's , S&S gear drive, Delkron plate, fueling pump, S&S G, and highly modified stock heads done by BC Gerolamy. Bike was peak dynoed at 119hp and 126tq...HOWEVER it would not run at freeway speeds in 5th gear! We detuned it down to 111hp and 119tq and it runs like a monster. The real kicker here is that i weigh 350 lbs, so come on, how many 90hp dynas with a 130lb rider am i really gonna beat in a drag race? what matters is that it runs great and is alot more powerful than before! Your numbers do sound a little low, but use those as a tool to find the issue that is causing the low numbers, not as a description of your bike. There are so many customers that come in and say "what kind of numbers can i expect with this combination?" All i promise is an ear to ear grin!!! that to me is worth more than any dyno numbers!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts