Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO, I am going to be planning a couple day trip to the Adirondacks area of NY to do some riding with some of my buddies early this fall. Been looking over a motorcycle map that Roy ( jrbean1 ) sent me and so far I believe our plan will be to stay in the Old Forge NY area to base out of. Our plan is to ride up day 1, then spend the next 2 days riding the area and then ride home on day 4. I am thinking that one of our day's riding will be out to the Lakes Region or 1000 Islands as it is called, make some type of a loop to there and back (maybe visit the Tibbetts Point Light House?). Then for the 2nd day of riding looping through the mountainous region with a ride up Whiteface Mt. If anyone here has any first hand experience with the regions I am mentioning as far as good places to stay, eat or visit while in the area, please let me know as this is still in our early planning stages. Thanks much.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's nice to start planning. I'm actually looking at the roads in Pennsylvania for the spring.
There is some great riding around Whiteface, and the road up the mountain has been resurfaced and is a smooth go. There may well be a 20 degree difference in temperature between the base and summit. If you get near Piseco, make sure to stop at the Oxbow Inn on route 8. Great food, great atmosphere, and a favorite stop for folks on bikes. If you are going through Lake George, a stop at the Olde Log Inn on route 9 is a good place to relax. Both places have excellent food and refreshments. I'm partial to the burgers.

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
I do a 3 day run through the Adirondacks every summer with some buddies. We stay in lake George and do day rides out and back.

The ride around lake Champlain is a great day ride, up the NY side down the Vt side and take the ferry back to the NY.

Lake placid and white face mountain in the other direction is another good day trip.

Can't go wrong any direction you head in up there, nice roads, nice people and nice country.

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I do a 3 day run through the Adirondacks every summer with some buddies. We stay in lake George and do day rides out and back.

The ride around lake Champlain is a great day ride, up the NY side down the Vt side and take the ferry back to the NY.

Lake placid and white face mountain in the other direction is another good day trip.

Can't go wrong any direction you head in up there, nice roads, nice people and nice country.

Have fun!
+1 on Lake George. We held our GlideFest there in a host hotel in Lake George and had a good time. McDermott proved to be great for ailing bikes and getting us road worthy quickly. Sights were beautiful, including a trip into Vermont. Got a great, though long, story on Tinmouth, VT.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya. We'll be in NH or ME. Doing 8 days out that way. If the weather cooperates. If not Fla or LA, TX.
Either way, sounds like an awesome trip for you.
If you make it out to Portland, ME and like seafood, be sure to find DiMillo’s...you won’t be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Let’s hear it...does it involve strippers, motorcycles, cigars and drinks??

Involves a motorcycle accident, Vermont loonies, Grateful Dead, firefighter love, official town huggers, and so much more.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Either way, sounds like an awesome trip for you.
If you make it out to Portland, ME and like seafood, be sure to find DiMillo’s...you won’t be disappointed.
Dude, I'm of Portuguese decent. Lol. I require seafood to live. I'll add that place to the Lobster Shack. Never too much Maine Lobster.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Dude, I'm of Portuguese decent. Lol. I require seafood to live. I'll add that place to the Lobster Shack. Never too much Maine Lobster.
Anybody heard of Bentleys saloon in Arundel, ME???
Place is Huuuuge, my Trump voice....did a week trip base outta Brattleboro, Vt..Right next to NH line, rode around all throughout mountains area....Beautiful.
Freak, sent a pm to yah, Lake George was our week vacation last year in July right after Americade and had a blast riding around,Lake George, Champlain,and Placid...simply killer

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just took a peek at the map. On your way to Whiteface from Old Forge, you will be going past Little Italy in Tupper Lake (yes, I like to eat). Nothing fancy but good food. If you wanted to take an hour or so break from riding, the Wild Center is also in Tupper Lake. Very well put together display, including more native fish than you can shake a stick at in huge tanks. Google the place; interesting. Lots of good riding in the Adirondacks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I live in the Foothills of the ADKS,Usally stop at Vans in Barnveld on my way to Old Forge nice Biker Bar,Sounds like you are going Labor Day Weekend If you go to 1000 Islands,Alexandria Bay has a Blues Fest Labor day weekend,Place is Mobbed.Yea I live about 50 miles from Lake George Nice Rideing in my Area.Sportys in Minerva is a Cool Place if you go to Lake George an The Boars Nest outside Of Lake George Usally Rocks at night.You could leave Old Forge Head to Blue Mt. Lake Then East to Indian Lake Than You could Head to Lake George A nice Ride Then you Could Head to The Great Sacandaga Lake That's my Stomping ground Theres ADK Harley in Broadalbin That's WHERE I Got my Ride Then you could Head back to Old Forge Stop at Vans On your Way,Just a Thought We have a lot of nice rideing up here Have Fun!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts