Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We me and my buddy are pulling the trigger. We are shipping our bikes to the east coast from Portland or. And riding back. Probly shipping to somewhere north like Maine somewhere around there. Planning on hitting sturgis on way through. If anybody has thoughts or ideas on great places to stop. Places to see or routes to take I would love to here from you

·
Registered
816 Posts
Ship em to Central Me Harley in Hermon Maine, see the transport trucks up here a lot. Fly into Bangor International (BGR) 5 miles from the dealer.
The Penobscot river in Bangor is tidal, but its only an hour or so to Bar Harbor or Ellsworth, plenty of ocean there to dip a tire. Then just point south and west on US1

·
Shark of the Month October 13
6,807 Posts
If it weren't for your goal of doing Sturgis, I'd suggest getting to Maine around August 9/10 and particpate in Shark
Week 4 on the Maine/NH border before heading west, but that event is the week after Sturgis.

After you've put a toe in the Atlantic in Maine (as Mike suggested), head west on Rte. 2 through Maine and end up on the Maine/NH border (Bethel, Me. or Gorham, NH). I'd stay in that area for a night. The Town and Country Motor Inn that is hosting our SW4 would be a good place to spend a night. In the a.m. go into Gorham and take Rte 16. About 30-40 minutes away you can catch the Mt. Washington Auto Road ("Road to the Clouds"). Amazing ride and views if you catch a clear day. Dress warn as you'll top out at over 6,000 ft. From there you can take several local loop routes that are very scenic - with the Kangamangus 'Highway' being a favorite. I'd stay in the No. Conway, NH area for a night. Neat area and lots of great roads in that general area.

Then I'd work my way through Vermont and into NY or drop down from VT. into Western Massachusetts. You'll want to avoid the immediate Boston area traffic - unless you want to take in some of the historic sites in Boston. USS Constitution, Freedom Trail, Fenway Park if your a baseball fan, etc. Just stay away from the I-95 corridor from Boston down past DC - there's no joy in that route!

If it were me, somewhere along the line I'd catch the northern route through Canada up and around the Great Lakes rather than dealing with the greater Chicago metroplex - a disaster of traffic, and plenty of potentially dangerous riding to get through there. From there you're on your own.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I have thought about the canada route. I like country roads and awesome views. I'm a union iron worker by trade. I build multi story sky scrapers and bridges for a living. Don't need to go to other side of country so see more of them and traffic only brings out the worst part of my temper lol :D. I just want to see country and farm land. Would love to see ocean and Great Lakes area. Really want to see Virginia some time in my life and the surrounding states. So many routes to take. Almost endless places a guy can go

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish that 100 best roads to ride sight was up and working. I want to try and fined them and ride them :(

·
Registered
407 Posts
How much time do you have for this trip? If you want farm land cut down and ride across the mid-west. Indiana is the cross roads of America after all!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Virginia, maybe Route 50!

Last fall I took US Route 50 from Winchester, VA to Cincinnati, OH. Talk about a fun ride and it would fit your desire to go thru mostly country. Mostly two lane and when I was on it (Friday afternoon/evening) it was basically deserted. A great ride that I WILL do again.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probly 18 days. I love the kinda roads you will remember. Love cool back roads and stuff. So if you guys know great place to ride or ride through. Old towns. Over mountains. Stuff like that :)

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
If it weren't for your goal of doing Sturgis, I'd suggest getting to Maine around August 9/10 and particpate in Shark
Week 4 on the Maine/NH border before heading west, but that event is the week after Sturgis.

Here's a idea you ride to Sturgis then head to Shark week then send your bikes back west. Unless your set on the East to West ride versus West to East?? Either way your riding one way and flying the other. Something to think about.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is actually I good I idea. I keep haring about shark week. Sounds fun

·
Registered
176 Posts
Don't miss Shark Week

If at all possible make it to Shark Week, "Insane in Maine"
The Shark boys and girls like to ride and you will meet some great folks and get in some fantastic local rides.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I hit nine National Parks and 9000 miles last yr. as part of ride to/from SWIII.
Glacier National Park is my favorite-and right on your way. Yellowstone and Grand Teton are also sorta enroute. Canyonlands and Arches in the same neighborhood. Mind-numbing scenery that will exhaust the superlatives in your vocabulary. And seeing it all on a bike is an absolute privilege!

I want to do it AGAIN!--not enough time to soak it all in...

Never done Sturgis...I know, I know...for the faithful, it's a pilgrimmage to Mecca that we're all supposed to do once in our lives if we can afford it...and I keep meaning to...

Coast to coast in 18 days???....The country's got waaaay more than you got time for! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts