Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning this year's big trip and need some input from the folk who know Easter Oregon. I'm overnighting in the Pendleton/La Grande/Baker City area and heading up to northern Idaho. One route I'm looking at starts at Baker City and takes OR-86 East to do the Wallowa Mountain Loop, but there's where it gets wonky on me.

The route goes like this: OR-86 to Pine Road to NF-39 to...National Forest Development Road??? Really?

I'd like to know if Pine Road, NF-39, and NFDR are "real" roads or if they turn to dirt halfway up the mountain (which it seems like a lot of roads I start to explore end up being) making me double back and waste time.

The fly-through on Google Earth looks awesome, so I'm hoping I can pull the trigger on this segment!

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts
Never been to Baker Cuty but have spend some time in eastern Oregon......where will you be the night before Baker Cuty? ie what's the route taken to get to that point

Are you going to hit up the painted hills while in Oregon?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eugene, OR...coming up 101 from Eureka, CA to Eugene, then around Mt. Hood and heading east to the Pendleton/Baker City area.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Route 39 is a good road the south end of it is a little rough but not too bad, not bad enough to detour a bunch of BMW carsand Miatas the last time I went over it. I would highly recommend it if your in that area. Any time I get to ride Eastern Oregon I jump on it lot's of great riding there.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I'm planning this year's big trip and need some input from the folk who know Easter Oregon. I'm overnighting in the Pendleton/La Grande/Baker City area and heading up to northern Idaho. One route I'm looking at starts at Baker City and takes OR-86 East to do the Wallowa Mountain Loop, but there's where it gets wonky on me.

The route goes like this: OR-86 to Pine Road to NF-39 to...National Forest Development Road??? Really?

I'd like to know if Pine Road, NF-39, and NFDR are "real" roads or if they turn to dirt halfway up the mountain (which it seems like a lot of roads I start to explore end up being) making me double back and waste time.

The fly-through on Google Earth looks awesome, so I'm hoping I can pull the trigger on this segment!
Are you going to Baker City for the Hells Canyon Run in July? I'm going for the first time this year. I've heard a lot of good things from friends who've done the HCR before.

A suggestion: Hiway 38 between Reedsport and Drain (on I-5) is a really nice road. It follows the Umpqua River and has very little traffic - beautiful scenery and lots of curves. You'll meet I-5 about 25-30 miles south of Eugene.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Are you going to Baker City for the Hells Canyon Run in July? I'm going for the first time this year. I've heard a lot of good things from friends who've done the HCR before..
I'll be in Ory-gone around 06/30. Maybe another time for me.

A suggestion: Hiway 38 between Reedsport and Drain (on I-5) is a really nice road. It follows the Umpqua River and has very little traffic - beautiful scenery and lots of curves. You'll meet I-5 about 25-30 miles south of Eugene.
Yup! That's exactly where I'll be!

Looks like you have another great epic adventure planed :cool:.
Hope it is...leave KC on 06/21 and return back 07/06...~5600miles.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
5+Rattlesnake+Grade+runout+in+Oregon+11257145982.jpg It looks like your heading north through Walla Walla? Unless you need wine I would go north on 39 like you posted before and go to Joseph. If you continue on to Enterprise you'll find Hwy 3 which will head north on one of the best roads in the area. It's called the Rattlesnake grade in the AMA's best roads list. This will take you to Lewiston which looks like were you were headed anyways.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The hours allowed are way off unless you're a sport bike rider. Did a PGR mission in Baker City a couple years back and rode this route back to Spokane. I still dream about it!!!!! The best advice I can give you is to keep a speed margin as you enter a curve, because you won't be seeing all the way through. I think the longest my bike was upright was 1/4 mile.... Also take a camera, there are a few good spots to look at Hells Canyon. I stayed in Enterprise, Joseph is EXPENSIVE! (I found a motel that gave bikers a significant discount for cash!)

This ride will live in your memories. BTW, as you continue north be sure to stop at Effie's in Lewiston, and then ride the OLD grade as you continue north. Your chicken strips will be skinny, and your smile will be wide.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cutting thru Hells canyons? The Home Bar in n. id is nice, can camp there.
Actually the Home Bar is in Troy, MT. They'll cook you supper, let you pitch your tent in the back yard, AND cook breakfast. It's an annual destination. Dunno if you can find it online, but find the major cross street in Troy, go towards the tracks, (but don't cross), turn left and there it is.

You've got one heck of a trip planned. If you make it from Baker City to Sandpoint in a day, it'll be a long but good one. Cd'A to Sandpoint the major thing keeping it interesting will be the traffic.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The hours allowed are way off unless you're a sport bike rider.
Well, I AM on a CVO Road Glide! ;)

BTW, as you continue north be sure to stop at Effie's in Lewiston, and then ride the OLD grade as you continue north. Your chicken strips will be skinny, and your smile will be wide.
Sounds good to me...it's on the ride plan. The Old Spiral Hiway? That looks cool.

You've got one heck of a trip planned. If you make it from Baker City to Sandpoint in a day, it'll be a long but good one. Cd'A to Sandpoint the major thing keeping it interesting will be the traffic.
There'll be a ton of twisty bits through the whole trip, so I think I'll do this:

Thanks for everyone's input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts