Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to need to do pads by the end of the season and I've been looking at options on eBay.

Is there any glaring reason NOT to buy a set of Kevlar pads from eBay for $23? It seems like the $23 sets (of 6 pads) are about the same as the $46 sets. I know you get what you pay for, but is there that big of a difference between them?

I'm not trying to start a those suck these are better argument, just a general, "they will or won't be fine", from people that have used these or similar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Rear-Sintered-Brake-Pads-2011-HARLEY-FLTRU-Road-Glide-Ultra-/160994199668?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item257c008874&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Rear-Kevlar-Carbon-Brake-Pads-2011-HARLEY-FLTRU-Road-Glide-Ultra-/181166404456?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2e5bf368&vxp=mtr

Thank you for the input. Again, I'm not trying to get into an overly technical argument, but just general knowledge recomendations.

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
No word on those pads... but search on here for D2moto pads. A good following of folks who have reported very positve experience with them.

You can get all 3 sets for about 25 bucks on amazon.

D.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
D2Moto pads here. You can get all 3 sets for under $40 shipped to your door. I can't really notice a difference in stopping but the dust seems to be better

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Ya know the saying.... Cheap ain't good, and good ain't cheap!
Then again, brakes are cool if you wanna stop all the fun lol.

·
Registered
440 Posts
D2Moto pads here. You can get all 3 sets for under $40 shipped to your door. I can't really notice a difference in stopping but the dust seems to be better
I just purchased a full set from D2moto web site, free shipping, $21.00 !
It had a specific listing for my 2011 FLTRU.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
I just purchased a full set from D2moto web site, free shipping, $21.00 !
It had a specific listing for my 2011 FLTRU.
For the price you'll be more than pleased. Just make sure you use a brake silicone grease on the back of the pads

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
For $#it's and giggles I went to the D2Moto website and they are out of stock on a lot of brake pads for our bike. It's apparent that the word is spreading fast about these pads

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have been using Sixity. They are another reasonable brand and I just found out about Milwaukee Twins. I sure will check out the D2motos though. Sounds like a great deal.

·
Banned
60 Posts
I'm not sure what pads youre considering but I can tell you that a customer came in (traveling) not long ago and the pads he used (came from Drag Specialties and was under the impression that was the brand of them but don't hold me to that) were slightly taller (less play on front brakes moving up and down) than the stock pads and when they got hot, they expanded so much it ruined the Brembo calipers and the rotors. Also, FWIW, the new Brembos are not rebuildable so his savings on the cheap pads cost him... dearly.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
I'm not sure what pads youre considering but I can tell you that a customer came in (traveling) not long ago and the pads he used (came from Drag Specialties and was under the impression that was the brand of them but don't hold me to that) were slightly taller (less play on front brakes moving up and down) than the stock pads and when they got hot, they expanded so much it ruined the Brembo calipers and the rotors. Also, FWIW, the new Brembos are not rebuildable so his savings on the cheap pads cost him... dearly.
The brembo calipers are resealable. There is a company that make a reseal kit for the brembos. They don't include the pistons, only the seals. I'll see if I can get a link later. The companies name is QTM but I just saw a rebuild kit from Drag Specialties with pistons http://www.dragspecialties.com/products/?productId=51566#?page=1003

·
Banned
60 Posts
I don't think that's the part a that it ruined but is it worth rebuilding the calipers and buying new rotors every time the brakes get hot? I'm under the impression the newer Brembos are different and cannot be rebuilt but I may be mistaken about that.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
I don't think that's the part a that it ruined but is it worth rebuilding the calipers and buying new rotors every time the brakes get hot? I'm under the impression the newer Brembos are different and cannot be rebuilt but I may be mistaken about that.
I don't think its necessary to rebuild the calipers unless you're having an issue with them. They're meant to take a fairly good amount of heat. After all friction generates heat. If you think they got over heated then I'd look at the pads to make sure they aren't glazed over. If so you can take some sandpaper to them to scuff the glaze away. If you see a discoloration on the rotors then I'd replace them because there's a good chance they got warped. In the Drag link I posted they show a listing for a "rebuild kit" for 08 to 13 FL series bikes. Haven't used them so I can't tell you for sure if or what the "kit" comes with but below that listing they list a seal only kit for the 08 to 13 FL's. By the way how did the caliper get ruined?

·
Banned
60 Posts
I don't think its necessary to rebuild the calipers unless you're having an issue with them. They're meant to take a fairly good amount of heat. After all friction generates heat. If you think they got over heated then I'd look at the pads to make sure they aren't glazed over. If so you can take some sandpaper to them to scuff the glaze away. If you see a discoloration on the rotors then I'd replace them because there's a good chance they got warped. In the Drag link I posted they show a listing for a "rebuild kit" for 08 to 13 FL series bikes. Haven't used them so I can't tell you for sure if or what the "kit" comes with but below that listing they list a seal only kit for the 08 to 13 FL's. By the way how did the caliper get ruined?
I think you're misunderstanding me. The pads he had were taller in height. You know how the stock pads have room to move up and down inside the caliper because they are short than the opening in the caliper? Well, these were taller than stock and when they got hot, they got even taller because they expanded and the ruined the caliper housing. Not the pistons or seals shown in the link.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
I think you're misunderstanding me. The pads he had were taller in height. You know how the stock pads have room to move up and down inside the caliper because they are short than the opening in the caliper? Well, these were taller than stock and when they got hot, they got even taller because they expanded and the ruined the caliper housing. Not the pistons or seals shown in the link.
I got ya now :eek:. Are you sure the pads he had were the correct ones for his bike?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts